well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    American Academy of Pediatrics ...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Academy of Pediatrics ...
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Rebukes the FDA

To reduce unknown risks from tiny to minuscule, the FDA seems willing to accept a rather large number of statistical deaths.

Even if the FDA is willing to countenance a "provisional" status, millions of kids would get the vaccine because their parents are sensible and not driven by ideological fealty to Marjorie Taylor Greene.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Speaking as someone with grandkids, I sure hope the FDA can find a way to (safely) hurry the process along.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Coronavirus cases among children are rising at a time when the highly infectious delta variant is advancing across the United States at a rapid clip.

New state-level data analyzed by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Children's Hospital Association shows that children accounted for roughly 15% of all newly reported COVID-19 cases across the nation for the week ending on Aug. 5.

Nearly 94,000 child cases of COVID-19 were recorded during that period, a 31% increase over the roughly 72,000 cases reported a week earlier. In the week before then, there were 39,000 new child cases.

quote:
One big question for parents — whether delta is making kids sicker than previous strains — still has no clear answer.

But the numbers appear to show that severe illness, hospitalization and death are rare in children infected with the coronavirus.

In states where data was available, less than 2% of all child COVID-19 cases required hospitalization and 0.00% to 0.03% were fatal.

https://www.npr.org/sections/c...f-all-new-infections

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The counterpoint is that the largest children's hospital in Louisiana is running out of beds.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I posted the national statistics about outcomes hoping to give some comfort to those who are worried about their kiddos and grandkiddos.

I view what's happening in Louisiana as another data point more than a counterpoint. I think we need to be simultaneously looking at national and local conditions in order to understand what's going on and to make the best decisions as to how to cope moving forward.

Sadly the decision that so many adults have made in some areas not to get vaccinated is one that is having an adverse impact on the kids. And adults, of course. Not to mention the caregivers and the health care system overall. The local statistics tell that story. In addition to the Louisiana situation as far as kids are concerned, I read yesterday that Arkansas has only 8 ICU beds available in the entire state.

A lot of people are suffering unnecessarily. It's sad and very very frustrating.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post