well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Jonathan Chait Thinks the Green New Deal Is a Bad Idea
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jonathan Chait Thinks the Green New Deal Is a Bad Idea
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
It’s kind of hard to talk about the “Green New Deal” because as rolled out it means ‘everything progressives have ever wished for’. Free college, free housing, jobs if you want one, or just income if you don’t, family leave, medical leave, healthcare for all. No, seriously, all that is in the GND.

Plus there’s some really aggressive, not to say fanciful, emissions goals.

So back to my main point, we should avoid saying ‘green new deal’ and talk about specifics, otherwise you’re asking for misunderstandings.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
+1.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
The left is hoping that they can use the "we're not Trump" misdirection to smuggle in as much fringe stuff as possible.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Agreed. If the progressives think that they can get this passed, they're naive. I'd much rather they focus on some targeted, unlinked goals. My opinion is the first order is to restore climate change goals and re-enter the world discussion on the topic, followed by some form of universal health care. Many states already have already addressed college tuition, and family leave is making progress (hint: what's the root of "progressive"?).

Perfect, enemy of the good and all that.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
On the other hand, the GND is chock full of things that can be left on the table as a negotiating tactic to get at least some of it done.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
The problem is you really don't know what you're voting for. Assuming best case you'd get one big program done. Trump got his tax reform, then lost his majority. Obama got Obamacare, then lost his majority. (I mean, yeah, there was the stimulus, but that was just candy, very little political opposition).

Of course these candidates want votes from people who prioritize healthcare, those who prioritize family leave, those who prioritize climate, etc. So I doubt they'd ever state what their real priority is.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
The problem is you really don't know what you're voting for. Assuming best case you'd get one big program done. Trump got his tax reform, then lost his majority. Obama got Obamacare, then lost his majority. (I mean, yeah, there was the stimulus, but that was just candy, very little political opposition).

Of course these candidates want votes from people who prioritize healthcare, those who prioritize family leave, those who prioritize climate, etc. So I doubt they'd ever state what their real priority is.

Politics is the art of compromise. Getting elected isn't.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Umm... there is a reason the discussions in the country have swung so far to the right; self-labled conservatives didn't just try to consider things that could be passed, they went ahead to push all the way up to the crazy level.

If the left takes the normal path and decides to only talk about what can pass, I think we will just watch the country continue to veer to the right, because I bet the propaganda machine of right won't slow down at all...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Nancy Pelosi killed it with a death of 1,000 cuts; so, it doesn't matter.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
On the other hand, the GND is chock full of things that can be left on the table as a negotiating tactic to get at least some of it done.

ThumbsUp

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Umm... there is a reason the discussions in the country have swung so far to the right; self-labled conservatives didn't just try to consider things that could be passed, they went ahead to push all the way up to the crazy level.

If the left takes the normal path and decides to only talk about what can pass, I think we will just watch the country continue to veer to the right, because I bet the propaganda machine of right won't slow down at all...

+1

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
For reasons that beggar understanding, it’s asymmetric. Crazy on the right doesn’t turn off the middle; crazy on the left does.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
For reasons that beggar understanding, it’s asymmetric. Crazy on the right doesn’t turn off the middle; crazy on the left does.[/QUOTE

IMO crazy on the left is unfamiliar in the US.
Crazy on the right is old hat.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
For reasons that beggar understanding, it’s asymmetric. Crazy on the right doesn’t turn off the middle; crazy on the left does.[/QUOTE

IMO crazy on the left is unfamiliar in the US.
Crazy on the right is old hat.

No, crazy on the left has always been there. Al Sharpton. Dennis Kucinich. Bernie Sanders.