well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A Hopeful Thread About Russia’s Deficiencies in Logistics

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Hopeful Thread About Russia’s Deficiencies in Logistics
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45722 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Theiner

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25666 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's a hopeful thread. but there a fair number of buts in there. But Ukraine needs time, for starters.

If the Russians still have local superiority in artillery, even with their creaky logistics, they can continue to drive Ukraine back. They can sap Ukrainian trained manpower and equipment, and possibly destroy some of the new Ukrainian toys in the process. I have seen videos of shiny new US howitzers exploding in colorful bursts of red and yellow. This will set back any potential Ukrainian counteroffensives and put pressure on Ukraine to negotiate a semi-surrender (accede to territorial loss).

And if they achieve any local breakthrough that could affect politics in possibly scary ways.

[Aside: I have been reading about Ukraine's massive counteroffensive against Kherson for literally MONTHS. They trumpet every 150 person hamlet that "falls" to their forces, and make the claim four times over a week if they lose the hamlet again and regain it. Rinse, wash & repeat. It begins to sound truly phony.]

It's all a matter of timing.

Can Ukraine bulk up its trained military and add sufficient modern weaponry to go on the counterattack before Russia wears them out and wears out the patience of Ukraine's EU "allies." Russia still has economic levers to pull to agitate German resolve and to affect the upcoming US elections. I suspect we'll see a spike in natural gas prices and oil prices in September/October as Russia suddenly turns off the spigots. They'll lose revenue too, but they'll be gambling that the political damage done in Berlin and Washington will pay handsome dividends down the road. It's a matter of resolve as much as it is logistics on the battlefield.

Posts: 12484 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I see your long thread, and raise you one! Big Grin

It kind of expands on my POV expressed above.

Update on Russia's Strategy

Posts: 12484 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Does anyone still think Ukraine will win? Russia is already taking the territory it thinks belongs to them.

Posts: 24630 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
If you read the two threads Quirt and I posted, you'll get some answers to that question and more. Yes, Ukraine can still win, and no, Russia's objectives are far broader than the territory they currently hold.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
You want an optimistic view, well how 'bout this one!

Logistics Collapse