well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ever find recipes you can't wait to try?
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever find recipes you can't wait to try?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
That sounds yummy!

A friend served me a watermelon version several years ago--watermelon, thinly sliced onion, feta, basil, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.

I often make it with cilantro or dill instead of the basil. It's amazing how many different sweet and savory flavors you can get from melon + herbs + vinaigrette.

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You may recall we were long cabbages a few weeks ago. Here's a recipe I made that we both really liked. It was kind of a cabbage jambalaya minus the shrimp.

https://www.allrecipes.com/rec...bage-roll-casserole/

I used some Amylu Chicken Andouille sausage instead of the Italian sausage. The Amylu is precooked, so I just tossed it in after cooking the onions and peppers. They added some spice, which was good because I had no Cajun seasoning.

I also used poblanos and jalapenos from the garden instead of a plain green pepper.

I decided not to bake it in the oven and instead just cooked the cabbage a little longer in the skillet. Nice fresh cabbage flavor.

It rated five stars in the wtg house!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
That sounds yummy!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
We had a staff meeting where our leader made this..OMG..Amazing!!!

Lib Koosa

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Okay, I finally got to it. the corn butter farro from Smitten Kitchen is drool worthy. Definitely a keeper.

I sauteed some shrimp with olive oil, garlic, and white wine to add a protein to the meal, but the corn butter farro was the star of the show.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I loved eating at Legal Crossing in Boston. It was Legal Seafood's experimental kitchen. They had this great yellow gazpacho with a crabmeat tower on it. Fantastic stuff. This looks very similar and is Legal Seafood's recipe. Got the yellow tomatoes today.

https://recipegoldmine.com/ccl...gazpacho-shrimp.html

Made it this morning. Everything I remembered.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

Lib Koosa

I made this today and served it with warmed naan and it was AMAZING! Thanks for the recommendation! It reminded me of melitzanosalata which is one of my favourites!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
One problem with me and moving toward a Mediterranean style of diet is that I just don’t care for seafood that much. I like it OK but I never think to eat it or order it at a restaurant. I really don’t know how to cook it and want to smother it in (decidedly un-Mediterranean) tarter sauce.

Until now.

Enter “Mediterranean Fish Stew”. Wow! I’d eat this stuff out of a dirty bowl! There are hundreds of recipes on line but this one was remarkably good for such a simple recipe. I’d link to it but now I can’t find it.

1 t olive oil
1 t ground fennel (I used seeds)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 t ground coriander
1 generous thyme bunch (I grow it)

1 1/2 cup water
1/2 t orange zest
1 can (14.5 Oz) diced tomatoes, un drained
1 1/2 cups clam juice (this is a thing - who knew?)

1 LB. White fish, cut in to chunks (I used cod - next time I’ll use something firmer)
1 can white beans (I cooked up some dried Great Northerns)

1 spritz lemon juice
1 pinch pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste

Sweat onion, garlic, fennel thyme bunch
and coriander in oil - 5 minutes

Stir in orange zest, water, clam juice and tomatoes. Bring to boil, simmer 5 minutes.

Stir in fish and beans. Simmer 5 minutes more. Discard thyme bunch.

Adjust flavor with lemon juice, salt, pepper and pepper flakes - it won’t take much.

That’s it and it’s delicious. There are hundreds of versions on line, some with dozens of ingredients, but this simple recipe works! I can see adding scallops, shrimp and whatever else ALDIs has on sale to beef it up.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Look for cioppino recipes....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Glad you liked it! We had it over pasta at our meeting...surely a big shoe to fill...each staff meeting is run by a different dept each month...Mine needs to top this?? Blink

quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

Lib Koosa

I made this today and served it with warmed naan and it was AMAZING! Thanks for the recommendation! It reminded me of melitzanosalata which is one of my favourites!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, Sharon has been working her way through this website and everything has been really good!

The Cozy Cook

The recipes run to midwestern and one pot meals, but what sets her apart is that she knows when/how to use herbs/spices and fresh ingredients. Even the toddlers like her stuff as long as we don’t tell them what’s in them.

Last night was this chicken dish. I might blister the tomatoes next time:

Tomato Chicken

Her chili isn’t authentic but it’s really good too.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Look for cioppino recipes....

The problem with Cioppino recipes - and it’s what I get in seafood restaurants - is that they’re always really complicated and call for things like crab, mussels and clams that aren’t easy to find here. Most call for making fish stock- like I have a bunch of fish heads laying around.

Like this one. Looks terrific but I’m not doing it:

Serious Eats does Cioppino

The recipe posted used bottled clam juice and tastes really good. I’ll start there.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Steve, you might start with two fish that are tasty and really easy to grill - salmon and trout. Both skin on, and you can just cook them skin down The whole time. Poaching is easy too. Last night I poached halibut in lobster butter. Delicious. Four ingredients - lobster meat, unsalted butter, halibut and a little salt.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Lemon-ricotta pasta. My kinda dish. Bel Gioso makes a very tasty whole milk ricotta.

https://getpocket.com/explore/.../lemon-ricotta-pasta

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Steve, have you tried any fish "en papillote"?

Quick and easy single servings in parchment paper "pillows". Great for guests when you cut into it at the table and the steam rises with wonderful smells.

Easy to incorporate fresh veggies and herbs. Lots of recipes out there!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post