well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ever find recipes you can't wait to try?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever find recipes you can't wait to try?
 Login/Join

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’m on a cinnamon roll kick. This recipe has you pour heavy cream or half and half over the rolls before baking.

C6CF1B5B-65EB-4C81-9CFA-9B9EBE1002A2 by pianomom2001, on Flickr

Results were excellent.

--------------------------------
http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9788 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Because everything is better with heavy cream! Yummy

Tripped over this today:

Lucy's Peanut Butter Brownies

Now how to decide which one to make first, cinnamon rolls or deadly brownies.....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37780 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

Tripped over this today:

Lucy's Peanut Butter Brownies

Now how to decide which one to make first, cinnamon rolls or deadly brownies.....

I’d do cinnamon rolls! But Mr. AM would probably choose the PB brownies; he loves peanut butter.

I think I read somewhere that the processed hydrogenated PB is better for baking/cooking, but I use the natural, because that’s what’s on hand here.

Do you know about the 3 (or 5) ingredient PB cookies? Gluten-free because there’s no flour. Mr. AM says these are his fave cookies ever. if you double the recipe, you use one 16 oz jar of PB, so less measuring. But I’ve decided the 1/2 jar (1 cup) is better for natural PB, because you can stir, make cookes, and have the other half of the jar in the fridge for normal use. (Recipe here.)

Also! Stirring natural PB is easy with electric hand mixer. Only put one beater in, and stir on low speed. So much better than trying to do it with a spoon.

Onward!

Posts: 9788 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
OK, so we're peasants. We really liked the three ingredient mac and cheese. And talk about stupid simple.

I used TJ's Wisconsin extra sharp cheddar. I had never tried it before and when I nibbled on a sample slice of it I thought it might be too mild, but it was perfect when it was melted into the dish. I think using different kinds of cheeses could be very interesting. Or adding extras like chicken or peas or....

I bought a couple of extra cans of TJ's fried onions when they were available during the holidays, and picked up some fried jalapenos when we were there today. They were great toppings for the mac and cheese.

Ready to plate up:

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37780 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Your mac looks prettier than mine did! I used farfalle and Tillamook extra sharp cheddar.

Peasant food? I want to make this. I’m subbing Impossible Burger or Beyond Meat for the ground beef. And I may do as many commenters said, and use a can of soup instead of making my own soup with a roux, because there are a couple cans in the cupboard that need to go somewhere.

Tater Tot Casserole, aka hot dish

The comments are hilarious, too.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Flourless chocolate cake, recipe from Zuni Cafe in San Francisco.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Flourless chocolate cake, recipe from Zuni Cafe in San Francisco.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

If you like that, you may also like this. It’s basically a fallen chocolate souffle, filled with whipped cream. Richard Sax’s chocolate cloud cake from Food52

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Easiest Minestrone recipe ever:

Open a can of Cento Minestrone, heat it and eat it! I make good Minestrone but this stuff is so good I may not bother in the future.

We found it in an Italian deli in PHX - one of those places where they have all sorts of Italian products you never buy because you don't know how good they are and they're kind of $$.

I may buy more stuff like it in the future.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34842 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The minestrone sounds great, but when I checked the nutrition facts turns out it has a ton of salt, like so many canned soups. Bummer.

Cento products are available around here...will have to check out some of the others....the ones listed on their website look pretty interesting.....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Grandson Jack is on a mac and cheese kick right now and I think I’ll make a batch for him.

I can’t find the article right now, but there’s a guy who tested some 10 kinds of boxed M and C mixes. Of all things, Walmart’s house brand came out #1 and it’s dirt cheap. Kraft, our usual go-to, came out way down the list.

[edit]. Lots of salt, as it turns out. I don’t usually look at salt content but maybe I should.

I wonder if salt is a problem for little kids.

Posts: 34842 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
If the test of a great recipe is that it makes you swear at the first taste (By the Gods - this is delicious!) then this is the recipe to try. Best soup I’ve ever eaten, maybe the best dish I’ve ever eaten of any kind.

Base recipe:

https://thecozycook.com/sausage-potato-soup/

Cooks notes:

* In the interest of cleaning up our act, Sharon subbed in Jenny O hot Turkey sausage and it made all the difference. Add a glug of olive oil. You can taste each individual ingredient.

* The cream makes it almost sinfully rich, but I don’t see why coconut milk wouldn’t work.

* Sharon made it with my homemade chicken broth. If using box broth add a little BtB.

* As a happy accident, Sharon used twice as much chicken broth as is called for because she didn’t understand how I package it. She doubled the spices and the broth is so good you can eat it by itself. I’d eat it out of a gym shoe.

* Can’t be frozen because the potatoes turn to mush. Eat it up quick!

Damn! It’s good!

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
If the test of a great recipe is that it makes you swear at the first taste (By the Gods - this is delicious!) then this is the recipe to try. Best soup I’ve ever eaten, maybe the best dish I’ve ever eaten of any kind.

Base recipe:

https://thecozycook.com/sausage-potato-soup/

Cooks notes:

* In the interest of cleaning up our act, Sharon subbed in Jenny O hot Turkey sausage and it made all the difference. Add a glug of olive oil. You can taste each individual ingredient.

* The cream makes it almost sinfully rich, but I don’t see why coconut milk wouldn’t work.

* Sharon made it with my homemade chicken broth. If using box broth add a little BtB.

* As a happy accident, Sharon used twice as much chicken broth as is called for because she didn’t understand how I package it. She doubled the spices and the broth is so good you can eat it by itself. I’d eat it out of a gym shoe.

* Can’t be frozen because the potatoes turn to mush. Eat it up quick!

Damn! It’s good!

This is a level up from my usual sausage/potato/kale soup. I’ll give it a try. Subbing Beyond Sausage for the sausage (Mr. AM not eating meat), and use half and half instead of heavy cream (my usual sub for soups).

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's a true story. I had a half sandwich and some Campbell's chicken noodle soup for lunch. I add a tsp of cream to the soup, and it makes all the difference in the world while adding very little calories.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Jennie-O is the turkey sausage I use, both the mild and the spicy.

Recipe sounds great, Steve. Will definitely put it in the queue to try. I wonder how it would taste with part sour cream, part cream....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I think sour cream or half and half would work just fine. I’m also going to try it without any cream at all.