well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ever find recipes you can't wait to try?
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 13

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever find recipes you can't wait to try?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I learned about farro a few years ago. It's great. I'm definitely trying that recipe.

I remember Mary introducing us to it, all too long ago. Such a multi-faceted woman!

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I made this Raw Asparagus Salad last night. Utterly delicious with grilled wahoo...

https://www.wpr.org/recipe-raw...mbs-walnuts-and-mint

Please reassure me all the ingredients are food stuffs! Eeker

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
Shortbread

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar (I use caster sugar when I can get it or pulse it in the food processor, but I have also skipped that step when I’m feeling particularly lazy - I have never compared side by side so don’t really know how much difference it makes)
2 sticks salted butter, softened (if you use unsalted, be sure to add a good pinch of salt)

Heat oven to 375º F

Mix all the ingredients together by hand with a fork or in a mixer. Don't overwork the dough - stop when it just comes together

Pan: Roll into the shape of the pan you want to bake them in. 8 x 8 works. Trim the edges to the approximate size. It should be about 3/4” or so thick. If you want, cut it into fingers. Prick the shortbread with a fork, about half way through.

Round: You can also shape the dough into a ball, roll it out into a round, and score into triangles, then prick with a fork.

Mould: I use a mould. Brush with a little butter and then sugar, which helps it come out nicely. Roll the dough, put it on the mould, and then roll again to press it in. Turn it out onto a tray. I have a terracotta mould so I bake it right inside the mould and turn it out after baking.

Place in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until slightly brown on edges. If you wish, sprinkle with sugar immediately upon removing from the oven. Shortbread shouldn't be darkly colored. Let your shortbread cool a bit on or in the pan before moving to rack.

Thanks for the recipe; I'll definitely try it.

I hadn't noticed the complete absence of salt in the Mary Berry recipe. Does seem odd; baked goods always have a little salt.

I found another that I may try just for grins. It is from King Arthur and contains confectioners' sugar and ground oats.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.c...sh-shortbread-recipe

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37778 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm crawling out from under the rock I've apparently been living under all my life. I've just been introduced to the joys of roasted broccoli. For some reason I thought broccoli wouldn't roast well. I think I assumed that the florets would just turn into little pieces of charcoal.

Wrong! Roasted broccoli is great. My method is to toss with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice,roast for about 8 minutes or so, then add in minced or sliced garlic and continue roasting until ready.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I'll roast any cruciferous vegetable. They all caramelize nicely, if you oil 'em up. To season, I just salt them and add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
I'll roast any cruciferous vegetable. They all caramelize nicely, if you oil 'em up. To season, I just salt them and add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.

Agreed! Also radishes roast brilliantly - something I hadn’t thought to try until the past year or so.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
Shortbread

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar (I use caster sugar when I can get it or pulse it in the food processor, but I have also skipped that step when I’m feeling particularly lazy - I have never compared side by side so don’t really know how much difference it makes)
2 sticks salted butter, softened (if you use unsalted, be sure to add a good pinch of salt)

Heat oven to 375º F

Mix all the ingredients together by hand with a fork or in a mixer. Don't overwork the dough - stop when it just comes together

Pan: Roll into the shape of the pan you want to bake them in. 8 x 8 works. Trim the edges to the approximate size. It should be about 3/4” or so thick. If you want, cut it into fingers. Prick the shortbread with a fork, about half way through.

Round: You can also shape the dough into a ball, roll it out into a round, and score into triangles, then prick with a fork.

Mould: I use a mould. Brush with a little butter and then sugar, which helps it come out nicely. Roll the dough, put it on the mould, and then roll again to press it in. Turn it out onto a tray. I have a terracotta mould so I bake it right inside the mould and turn it out after baking.

Place in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until slightly brown on edges. If you wish, sprinkle with sugar immediately upon removing from the oven. Shortbread shouldn't be darkly colored. Let your shortbread cool a bit on or in the pan before moving to rack.

Thanks for the recipe; I'll definitely try it.

I hadn't noticed the complete absence of salt in the Mary Berry recipe. Does seem odd; baked goods always have a little salt.

I found another that I may try just for grins. It is from King Arthur and contains confectioners' sugar and ground oats.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.c...sh-shortbread-recipe

I’ve used confectioners sugar and it works just fine! I have never tried oats. Just promise you will ignore any recipe with cornstarch - that is NOT shortbread!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I am trying to find the balance between soaked in oil and not enough oil when roasting. I've been tempted to buy one of those sprayer doo-dads that lets you spray a fine mist of oil, rather than dumping everything in a bowl and tossing.

Does anyone have one of these, and would it work to add "just enough" oil for roasting?

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I probably use too much oil, but I just drizzle it over the veggies and then toss it with my hands.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
A really simple but delicious salad? Arugula, a little olive oil and lemon juice - very little - a pinch of salt, parmesan and pine nuts. Maybe 2 minutes prep time. Probably less.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I am trying to find the balance between soaked in oil and not enough oil when roasting. I've been tempted to buy one of those sprayer doo-dads that lets you spray a fine mist of oil, rather than dumping everything in a bowl and tossing.

Does anyone have one of these, and would it work to add "just enough" oil for roasting?

Mine never sprayed enough and seemed to require too much of a pumping motion.

And FWIW, I also find mixing my salads by hand to be the most effective way to distribute the ingredients. A salad spinner was great at drying lettuce so it absorbed them best, but I got too lazy to use it.

Occasionally, though, I worry about just HOW clean those supposedly triple - or more - washed Spring mixes are. Not to mention having a guilty conscience about the plastic containers it comes in. I would SO love to see the produce aisle find a way to do without all those plastic containers! On berries, on so damned much. Non-recyclable too.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
quote:
I made this Raw Asparagus Salad last night. Utterly delicious with grilled wahoo...

https://www.wpr.org/recipe-raw...mbs-walnuts-and-mint

Please reassure me all the ingredients are food stuffs! Eeker

What ingredients are you questioning? It all looks like food to me.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7376 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
I probably use too much oil, but I just drizzle it over the veggies and then toss it with my hands.

I do this, too. I don’t think it’s too much oil when I do it. It’s much drier than when I have it in a restaurant!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9787 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
A really simple but delicious salad? Arugula, a little olive oil and lemon juice - very little - a pinch of salt, parmesan and pine nuts. Maybe 2 minutes prep time. Probably less.

Perfect! I hate making salads, but this is easy peasy.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9787 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It's quite delicious, but the trick is to use the ingredients sparingly, so the spicy arugula shines through.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post