well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ever find recipes you can't wait to try?
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever find recipes you can't wait to try?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Made this last night. Beef Stroganoff with ground beef. It turned out great. Even MFR who seldom says anything more than “it’s ok.” Said it was really good and had seconds. Our guest took some home for tomorrow.

Tonight, I'm making Minnesooota Hot Dish.

The Stroganoff recipe is:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16433/stroganoff/

I used Golden Mushroom instead of cream of, added a little Worcestershire sauce, 2 cloves of garlic and more smoked paprika than it called for. It was a big hit. Do use egg noodles, not pasta.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13515 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Ground beef? Mushroom soup? Paprika? That's stroganoff blasphemy!! Neener

Does sound pretty good, though...

When I was growing up, my friend's Russian grandmother used to make the classic version. Takes no time to cook. And it was soooo much better than my mom's version that used round steak, which was basically impossible to get tender. And (shudder) canned mushrooms.

Baba's Beef Stroganoff

Saute diced onions and sliced mushrooms in a bit of butter and oil. Set aside.

Sirloin (I buy the prime top sirloin from Costco) or tenderloin for the beef sliced thin and seared in a combo of oil and butter for like a minute on each side. You'll get some nice pan juices. I rarely have to use additional beef stock.

Toss the mushrooms and onions in with the beef. Raise heat a bit and stir in a big dollop of full fat sour cream.

Here I depart from Baba's recipe....I add a few teaspoons of Worcestershire...

Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over egg noodles, of course!

edit: Here's a recipe that's similar to what I make, except for the lemon, mustard, and flour.

https://www.food.com/recipe/cl...ef-stroganoff-390175

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37683 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It was really good.

My mom made it with round steak too. We had very strong jaws.

I was going to use some grass-fed rib steak for it, but it would have taken far too long to get it tender. I had to cook Texas chili seven hours the day before to get the flank steak chewable. I cut the rib steak up into 1/3 inch dice and will probably make chili again.

Your Baba's recipe looks great. Will have to try.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I went down an internet rabbit hole chasing Berghoff bourbon. Long story.

Along the way I stumbled upon this recipe for Berghoff Bourbon Prune Bread Pudding.

https://www.foodreference.com/...prune-brpud-118.html

Yummy Yummy Yummy

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37683 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They don't know how to spell pierogis, but the recipe rocks.

Pierogi and Sausage Skillet:

https://www.thereciperebel.com...and-sausage-skillet/

I used the Aldi brand Bremer potato and cheddar pierogis; they are very, very good. And I threw in a few leaves of kale that I had left over. We really like the Teton Beef Polish Sausage form Costco and I had some in the freezer, so in they went.

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Made this last night. Beef Stroganoff with ground beef. It turned out great. Even MFR who seldom says anything more than “it’s ok.” Said it was really good and had seconds. Our guest took some home for tomorrow.

Tonight, I'm making Minnesooota Hot Dish.

The Stroganoff recipe is:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16433/stroganoff/

I used Golden Mushroom instead of cream of, added a little Worcestershire sauce, 2 cloves of garlic and more smoked paprika than it called for. It was a big hit. Do use egg noodles, not pasta.

At the risk of complete and total blasphemy, I’m going to try this with Beyond Beef (plant based meat substitute). It might make Mr. AM happy!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Can't imagine why that would be a problem. Enjoy.