well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ever find recipes you can't wait to try?
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever find recipes you can't wait to try?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It does. I bookmarked it.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Made this last night. Delicious. Maybe even better today. Using boneless skinless thighs makes it even easier to eat. Do use fresh sage. It makes all the difference.

https://www.monpetitfour.com/chicken-normandy/

Chicken Normandy

Ingredients

1 tbsp vegetable oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2" wedges
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp apple brandy (or regular brandy)
apple cider (also known as unfiltered apple juice), *see note
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh sage

Instructions

To a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Pat dry the chicken thighs and a pinch of salt and pepper to both sides of the thighs. Carefully place the thighs into the pot and cook each side until browned.

Remove the chicken thighs from the pot and temporarily set aside on a plate. Add the apple wedges to the pot and sauté for a few minutes until golden and caramelized. Place the apple wedges on a separate plate.

Turn down the heat to medium. To the pot, add the onions and brandy. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan. After a few minutes, when the onion has softened, add the garlic and cook for another minute.

Add the chicken back into the pot and pour in enough apple cider so that the chicken is mostly immersed in the cider, but not completely submerged. Raise the heat to high to bring the cider to a boil. Once it's boiling, turn down the heat to medium and cover the pot with a lid; cook for 5-7 minutes, until the chicken is tender and cooked through.

Remove the lid from the pot and stir in the cooked apples, mustard, cream, and chopped sage. Allow the mixture to simmer for about 5 to 7 minutes longer, until the sauce has reduced and thickened.

Serve each chicken thigh with a few apple wedges and some cream sauce poured over it. Enjoy immediately with French bread.

Notes

Depending on how deep/wide your pot is, you may need anywhere from 1.5 to 2 cups of apple cider.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That looks delicious. Brought back some great memories from a trip to England in the 80s.

Ian and I worked for the same brokerage services firm, he in London and I in Chicago. We got to know each other over the years because we both worked in IT, and we had met when he traveled to the US.

Mom and I went on vacation to England. The day after we got there, we took the train to somewhere up north of London, and Ian picked us up and drove us to Cambridge. After a day of sightseeing he ferried us to his home in Cople in Bedfordshire. His wife made us her version of Chicken Normandy, and a wonderful dessert called St Clement's Trifle.

It was heavenly.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
More noodles.

Homemade shoyu ramen:

https://getpocket.com/explore/...homemade-shoyu-ramen

Dan Dan noodles:

https://www.delish.com/cooking...-dan-noodles-recipe/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Made this last night - quite good with grilled halibut and shrimp.

Smoky, Lemony Sautéed Shredded Brussels Sprouts

https://www.thekitchn.com/reci...09#post-recipe-10685

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That sounds really good. And timely. The whole stalks of fresh Brussels sprouts will be showing up at Trader Joe's shortly.

People who don't like them because all they've had are frozen definitely need to try fresh. There's no comparison.

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I love brussels sprouts, and that sounds delish!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Popularity Seeker
Picture of Catseye3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
And these totally unhealthy bacon cheddar chive biscuits....

Ye gods; those look almost as bad as the Paula Deen Bacon Doughnuts.

"Bad" meaning to die for.

"Success is measured by your discipline and inner peace." -- Mike Ditka

Posts: 753 | Registered: 27 December 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I keep adding recipes to this thread. I really should consider going back and looking at what's already been posted. I have some bacon and cheddar cheese that need using and the chives out in my garden are still good...

I think we're having those biscuits for dinner tonight with some soup!

quote:
Ye gods; those look almost as bad as the Paula Deen Bacon Doughnuts.

"Bad" meaning to die for.

Did you see Doug's doughnut salad? Big Grin

Good to see you my dear Wormwood Cats!

Bazootiehead-in-training

Popularity Seeker
Picture of Catseye3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

Good to see you my dear Wormwood Cats!

Hi

"Success is measured by your discipline and inner peace." -- Mike Ditka

Posts: 753 | Registered: 27 December 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I made this last night, and it was delicious. Perfect cool weather comfort food.

Slow-Roasted Salmon with Mushroom Leek Broth. It’s served over rice. Mr. AM loved it.

I didn’t garnish with ginger matchsticks, but next time I would add some ginger to the broth. And I might put some baby bok choy in the broth during the last 5 minutes of simmering; that would be fab. The leeks cooked down to be just greens, not at all overpoweringly oniony.

Ha! I forgot I have a Flickr account for just this purpose. Here you go.

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Pretty much perfect Scampi.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/re...hrimp-scampi-8849846

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Looking for a great source of recipes? How about Alison Roman's website? She was a NYT Cooking writer, with Bon Appetit, etc.

Great stuff.

https://www.alisoneroman.com/

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
On the grill tonight - Unbelievable Chicken! This recipe gets great reviews.

https://www.allrecipes.com/rec...nbelievable-chicken/

Ingredients
¼ cup cider vinegar

3 tablespoons prepared coarse-ground mustard

3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced

1 lime, juiced

½ lemon, juiced

½ cup brown sugar

1 ½ teaspoons salt

ground black pepper to taste

6 tablespoons olive oil

6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Directions

In a large glass bowl, mix the cider vinegar, mustard, garlic, lime juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil. Place chicken in the mixture. Cover, and marinate 8 hours, or overnight.

Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.

Lightly oil the grill grate. Place chicken on the prepared grill, and cook 6 to 8 minutes per side, until juices run clear. Discard marinade.

Edit: Not unbelievable, but very good. Nice citrus flavor in the chicken.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
4DFD5B41-B40F-4C93-B44A-BF7E43C28B3F by pianomom2001, on Flickr

Tonight’s dinner, braised white beans and greens with parmesan from NYTimes Cooking. Served with olive ciabatta bread. Really tasty; we’ll be doing this on repeat.