well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ever find recipes you can't wait to try?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever find recipes you can't wait to try?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Couldn't find a non-paywall version, but this chile relleno casserole looks great:

https://www.washingtonpost.com...no-casserole-recipe/

Edit: see below

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post

Tried the chile relleno casserole recipe last night. We both really liked it a lot. Served it with some sour cream, guacamole, black olives, and green onions.

A non-paywall version of the recipe has magically appeared:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/food...casserole/ar-AARO7sv

I used three (not six) large fresh poblanos instead of the canned, worked well. Used two of them to cover the bottom of the baking dish and chopped up the third.

I think next time I would try a couple of extra eggs to make it a little richer.

But it definitely stays in the rotation!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Found this recipe for a potato sausage casserole when I was looking for something else altogether...

https://www.theseoldcookbooks....o-sausage-casserole/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
My favorite Mexican dish is a good chile relleno, and they are very hard to find around here. There are lots of them, but they are gloppy, greasy cheese dreck. The casserole looks great.

Funny you should mention casseroles. I am making my beloved MIL's Chicken Casserole as we speak. It's in the oven. Probably my ultimate comfort food.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That looks wicked good.

Re the chile relleno casserole...You probably would do this anyway, but I think it's better to cook the cumin with the beef rather than adding it later.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Cumin should be bloomed before you put it in anyway.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I like the part where you dish it in to “Pyrex”. Not Fire King, not Anchor Hocking, “Pyrex”.

That’s great marketing right there, and I’ll be making that casserole. Chicken noodle soup rather than cream of chicken is a real wild card.

Do you actually use the canned chicken?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yep. I always keep at least one in the pantry for that.

Never noticed the pyrex reference. I guess I just know what casserole to put it in.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
May I assume that the preferred brand of canned soup is Campbells?

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
That's what I used, but only because I had it. Store brands these days are a lot better.

Next project is possible because my SIL gave me the bone with meat from the Honeybaked ham. Some ham and bean soup coming up this week. Love that stuff.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
That's what I used, but only because I had it. Store brands these days are a lot better.

Next project is possible because my SIL gave me the bone with meat from the Honeybaked ham. Some ham and bean soup coming up this week. Love that stuff.

Soup bones are the best! We have prime rib bones, and we’ll have mushroom barley soup from them.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:

I made some last week using “Hurst’s Ham Beans”, a brand I’ve never seen. I used their 15 bean mix and it came out great!

Their website has a number of recipes, including a couple of chilis and a cassoulet. You can’t beat them as far as hearty meals on a budget.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I had a bunch of leftover roast capon, so I decided to make chicken salad since MFR loves it. There is a chain from Georgia called The Chicken Salad Chick. I made her Fancy Nancy chicken salad. Delicious.

https://domesticsuperhero.com/...ly&utm_source=yummly

Did not have grapes so used more apple, did not have ranch dressing powder so I cut the mayo down and added ranch dressing. Used avocado oil mayo to cut the fat.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
This recipe was a hit with the football crowd:

Lasagna Soup

Definitely trying that. If I had ricotta in the house it would be on the menu tonight!

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I made the NYT recipe for beef wellington. I popped the big $$ for a really good hunk of organic, grass-fed tenderloin massaged by virgins in the hills of eastern Oregon. Anyhow, the wellington was fine--my proportions were off which made the assembly difficult. I ended up cooking it in the puff pastry, which fell apart in the oven. So I retrieved it out of the pastry, sliced it and served it up as prime rib (or whatever it should be called). It Was Delicious. I'm sure it was the cut of meat. I've decided the wellington is a lot of effort without a lot of payback, and next time I'll encrust the little lovely in some sort of dijon/pepper blanket, cook it and call it a day.

BUT at the same time I also made a vegetarian wellington (also NYT) with portobello mushrooms substituting for the beef. This was really great. One of the highlights was the carmelized onion, which called for 1 big onion sliced into rings, maybe 1.5 tsp of brown sugar, 1/2 c of apple cider and about 2 tsp of balsamic. Saute over butter until carmelized--maybe 10 minutes? I thought the sugar and apple cider would be weird but it all sort of combined in a really good way. I'm planning on using those ingredients whenever I have to carmelize onions. It was really good.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post