well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Chickpea and celery soup with chili garlic oil.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chickpea and celery soup with chili garlic oil.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I’ll be making this tomorrow. Sounds like it might be goid hot, cold or even puréed. Calories can’t be too bad - leave out the yogurt and it’s even vegan.

From Bon Appetit

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34883 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That sounds very good.

Is it just me, or does 6 tablespoons of oil sound like a lot?

I made a spicy chickpea and kale soup a couple of days ago. It was excellent!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37848 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Sounds good! I have no problem with 6 tbsp. of EVOO.

Steve-that chicken stock isn’t vegan.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13801 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
Sounds good! I have no problem with 6 tbsp. of EVOO.

Steve-that chicken stock isn’t vegan.

Sub vegetable stock. Could be fun - it’s devilishly hard to make taste like anything but it’s not impossible.

I hear it’s all about the ‘shrooms.

Posts: 34883 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I don't think I'd eat this every day for lunch for 17 years, but it does look good...

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

Just because I happen to have them on hand because of recent CSA box contents, I'd probably use carrots and kale instead of the butternut squash and spinach. I'd also skip the lemon. I've tried a number of recipes that include it (adds a fresh burst of flavor! the recipe usually says), but I find it's not really my thing.

Can't believe it's the middle of summer and I'm looking at soup recipes.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37848 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It’s good! Very good!

Very fragrant, light but satisfying. Yogurt on top is much better than sour cream would have been.

The recipe is more complex than necessary because it’s designed for a nice presentation. The chili oil really isn’t required - saute the garlic and chili with the onions. You won’t miss the extra three Tablespoons of oil. No need to decant and salt the yogurt - just spoon it out of the carton.

Forgot to take a picture. Maybe tomorrow.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Sorry. Just the title of the thread sounds unappetizing. I’m not even gonna read the recipe.

I hate celery.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30035 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
It sounds good. Since celery is finely chopped and cooked, I think it just becomes part of the background.

I’m used to seeing more assertive flavors with chickpeas, like cumin and tomato. But this should work nicely too. I don’t know how hot those chilies are.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13801 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I'm with pj.

I really don't like celery, no matter how fine it's diced or how long it's cooked.

Except when it's in cornbread dressing. For reasons unknown, I enjoy it when it's made with celery. Granted, I cook the minced celery for hours in the stock before assembling the dressing, then I bake the assembled dressing another 30 to 45 minutes, so it does lose a lot of structural integrity. Also, mooshing it into the cornbread and other ingredients hides it better than letting it float free in soup.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15507 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer: I don’t know how hot those chilies are.

Not very, as it turns out. That’s the advantage of serving the chili oil separately. You add it in the bowl like a condiment. I ended up adding chili flakes leftover from takeout pizza packages.