well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Grocery store supply chains

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grocery store supply chains
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Stuck rationing toilet paper because you didn’t stockpile during the coronavirus panic over the last few days? Don’t worry, according to supply chain experts.

“All the grocery stores are going to have pallets of toilet paper sitting in the aisles, and nobody is going to buy it, because who needs to buy toilet paper when you’ve got a year’s worth sitting in your garage?” Daniel Stanton, a supply chain expert and author of “Supply Chain Management for Dummies,” tells CNBC Make It.

But what about food?

Even if the COVID-19 pandemic stretches over months (President Donald Trump said it could last until August), there will be no big food shortages, especially on staples like milk, eggs, cheese, bread and meat, according to three supply chain experts who spoke to Make It.

But your favorite brand or the exact kind of fruit you want could be scarce.

“The brand that you normally want may not be available. But, hey, there’s some other kind of pasta. Or instead of rice, we’re going to have potatoes for dinner,” Stanton says.

“The U.S. produces a huge amount of food. We’re also an exporter of food, so we’re going to be okay,” he adds.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/1...ble-in-pandemic.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37797 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
All the grocery stores are going to have pallets of toilet paper sitting in the aisles, and nobody is going to buy it

I am going to choose to believe this and not try to order anything (like the industrial toilet paper rolls etc.)

quote:
But your favorite brand or the exact kind of fruit you want could be scarce.

This we can live with.

We had to laugh when we did our stocking-up trip yesterday (was that yesterday? it seems like years ago...)

Anyway, at Walmart, the Progresso soup section was almost completely empty -- except for Italian Wedding soup! Evidently people down here don't like that kind of soup. ROTFLMAO

We bought a few cans Yes

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Really? Italian wedding soup is great. I'm not a big fan of Progresso soups, but it sure beats pine bark or a fresh squirrel.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Italian food stuffs in general don't seem to be all that common down here, so that might be part of the reason.

I like Progresso soups, and they are literally a dollar less at Walmart compared to the other two big grocery stores down here.

And I've always loved Italian wedding soup, although I like the kind my mother makes better than Progresso's!

I was also surprised to see Walmart sell out of Cento brand in the various types of canned tomatoes (crushed, peeled etc.) before the Contadina brand. Although that might be because the store stocks more of the Contadina (as opposed to people buying more Cento).

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
We live on Progresso soups here. Although they no longer make my favorite (Albondigss, which was a tomato-based soup with small meatballs and rice). But the chicken corn chowder, the New England clam chowder, and the three cheese tortellini are staples.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge fan of Progresso New England clam chowder. Not the healthiest thing on the planet, but what canned soup really is?

Wolfgang Puck has (had) a series of canned soups that were not bad. Veggie barley, iirc, was particularly good.

But, and being honest here, when I'm sick my comfort food is Campbell's chicken noodle soup, just like my mom used to give me when I was a kid. None of this fancy-schmancy Progresso chicken noodle for me.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I grew up on Riviera soup, especially the Minestrone. It's very different from other Minestrones - very thick and the flavor is unique. It's an acquired taste and there are stories on the 'net of people trying it for the first time, deciding it must be spoiled, and throwing it away.

I haven't had it in a long time. I wonder if they still make it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Love canned soups (Italian wedding and clam chowder) but can't eat them because of the sodium levels.

We make chicken broth in the IP and then make our own soups.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37797 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post