well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bach on a Microtonal Guitar

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bach on a Microtonal Guitar
 Login/Join

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Microtonal Guitar

Still not absolutely sure I fully understand the ways these small differences in fretting allow the player to do different things not possible on a regular guitar. Listening to that piece I didn't say "wow that sounds completely different!"

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Similar to piano tuning using temperaments other than equal... Unless there are two instruments to compare with different tunings, most people will say -"that sounds ok". Only when played side by side does the extra purity of usually "busy" intervals become apparent.

Fun stuff, but brings out heated arguments in the tuning community!

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I understand (I think) how the different fret spacing for each string imposes a different temperament (if that terminology applies to the guitar). What I can't comprehend is the reason for the closely spaced frets at a few places. They're so close together that I don't see how they can both be used.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, the tuning of piqué's piano as described in Grand Obsession was one of the issues in trying to resurrect the sound she had initially heard from the instrument after she had it in her home. I'm unsure of exactly what temperament she ultimately preferred.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
That’s lovely, but I’m not refined enough to tell the difference. Would it be harder to be precise about where your fingers land on the fretboard since the spacings are a tiny bit different?

And this guitar is played with the right hand fretting (backwards from the usual); I’m guessing just custom for this guitarist? I looked to see if the video was just mirrored, but it’s not; I can read the titles on the bookshelf.

Cool.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post