well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Golden Globes

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Golden Globes
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Anyone watch them?

Your thoughts?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I don't ever watch awards shows, but Mr. Lisa had the TV on to watch the Eagles game and so I was in the room when the golden globes came on. I was completely turned off by the stupidity of the opening where the comedian guy and Sandra Oh (who I normally am a big fan of) stood there and spouted some of the most forced and inane dialogue I have ever seen. I mean the jokes were so bad I was actually cringing and the audience didn't seem to be taking it any better than I was. I had to turn it off after about 3 minutes. I don't know if that is what all awards shows are like, but wow. That part at least was pretty awful.

Posts: 4390 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I watch all of those shows. So shoot me. Wink

Highlights:
1. Carol Burnett, anywhere, any time. Her speech actually brought tears to my eyes as I remembered the entire family watching her show like a religion every week.

2. Glenn Close's speech. I thought it was a bit rambly but I appreciated the passion and emotion she showed. I also liked the fact that a non-Botox-y old broad (like me) can still be hired and recognized for a fantastic performance.

3. Sandra Oh's genuine, sweet acknowledgement of her parents ("Oh, Daddy!") when she won her award.

Lowlight:

Absolutely, 100000% percent, the Roma director's speech (I think it was the director), who proceeded to essentially read the imdb synopsis of his movie, then went into a lengthy mansplaining episode of what his movie meant. Ultimately he explained to all of us how his movie was intended to bring world peace and tolerance to everyone. First, he was a long-winded bore. Second, you just won an award, I think most people there have likely seen or heard what the movie was about. Third, no one likes to be lectured to, and this particular audience is probably the least in need of a lecture on diversity and tolerance. Just leave the stage, man.

(It's amazing that I haven't been approached by the NYT asking me to write reviews for them.)

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The rise of Lady Gaga.

Posts: 24653 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Sandra Oh - that's a new name for me.

Dol's confidence in me will be reaffirmed. Smiler

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Rachel was getting texts and emails throughout it, she had a couple ads debuting on it last night.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Rachel was getting texts and emails throughout it, she had a couple ads debuting on it last night.

Cool!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I was touched by Sandra Oh's, "Oh, Daddy!" too, Nina.

I also noticed quite a number of "old broads like us" getting awards, some more botox-y than others. I would have to look back to previous years to know for sure if this was a change, but it felt like one. If a decrease in the invisibility of older women is a result of #metoo and #timesup, I'll consider it a major bonus.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I am shocked that no one mentioned Regina King.

They tried to play her off. She just went right on talking. And what she said was this ... she's going to make a commitment, in her production company, in the next year, to try to staff every production with 50% women. She may not succeed, but she's going to try. And she urged everyone in the room, and everyone watching, to do likewise.

Eventually, they had to give up trying to play her off, because she was getting such a phenomenally positive response.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I don't ever watch awards shows, but Mr. Lisa had the TV on to watch the Eagles game and so I was in the room when the golden globes came on. I was completely turned off by the stupidity of the opening where the comedian guy and Sandra Oh (who I normally am a big fan of) stood there and spouted some of the most forced and inane dialogue I have ever seen. I mean the jokes were so bad I was actually cringing and the audience didn't seem to be taking it any better than I was. I had to turn it off after about 3 minutes. I don't know if that is what all awards shows are like, but wow. That part at least was pretty awful.

Sandra Oh isn't a comedian, and Andy Samberg isn't much of one. They need to have Tina Fey and Amy Poehler MC it every single year.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I don't remember Regina King. It's possible that I didn't watch that part. You think I'd at least remember it.

(Don't say the obvious here, people... Big Grin )

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 24653 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
The rise of Lady Gaga.

I was sorry she didn't win best actress, although I must admit A Star Is Born was the only film nominated that I actually saw.

jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post