well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Got the piano moved!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got the piano moved!
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
Well, the piano guys came today. I still haven't decided what to do about some of the bookshelves in the room, but I think I like the placement better. (I hope I do, Mr. SK will have a fit if I tell him I want to pay another $150 to have it moved again! suave

They ended up taking off one leg and putting the piano onto their dolly (so the piano is tipped up onto its side) and then rolling the dolly off the rug so we could rotate the rug, then getting the piano into the new spot (again, using the dolly) and then putting the piano back upright and reattaching the leg. These guys are super good at what they do, you can see that they do everything in very specific ways to avoid damaging the piano, the rug, the walls, or themselves. Oh, so I should add, this time I watched the whole thing. When I first got the piano, I couldn't watch, I was terrified of anything going wrong. :P

Anyway, I still need to think about where I want the various bookshelves and small furniture items in the room, but here are some photos I snapped before coming into work:

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P.S. Just in case: yes, the vent under the piano is completely closed, yes I know to be carefully about the window. The window on the short wall doesn't get any direct sun in the winter and gets only a little sliver at the end of the day in summer, so we will make sure the blinds and curtains are closed then. The big window faces kind of north-northeast, but there's a porch there (i.e. the window is under a roof) so there's never any sun coming in from that window either.

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I think that location is much better.

If you tell Mr. SK you want to have it moved
again for $150, get a video. Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I like this placement much better; it feels less like a long boxcar/tunnel. And I think the sound will come out and fill the space well with the piano facing this way.

Looks great!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Much better!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20450 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Yup much better and as I had first suggested....why? Cuz that is how mine is placed! Couple of ideas...floor lamp in the corner...
Leave the bench out to welcome and help balance...
Bookshelf behind seat if you can still sit...that wall looks too empty and the only need to pull out bench further would be to pull out for keyboard pull out...
Picture directly behind seat...

I'll try to message on FB to share pic here.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Good move! ThumbsUp

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks y'all.

quote:
Bookshelf behind seat if you can still sit...that wall looks too empty and the only need to pull out bench further would be to pull out for keyboard pull out...

I don't know why I didn't think of putting the bookshelf there! I wasn't happy with it where it was. So I already took your advice! By moving the shelf, it not only fills up that empty space, it also provides me with better access for the piano stuff I need. And it opens up space for the rocking chair, so now the two chairs in this room are facing each other, which I absolutely love!!! Thank you LL!!!

Please ignore the plant on the shelf, I want to get a plant stand for it and put it somewhere else, so that's temporary.

Also, I'm not going to move any of the framed pics yet, I would like to get some more pieces to hang (I already have something things I'd like to frame) so I am going to wait until I have an idea of what I want and where before moving anything else.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Also, OMG I forgot the most important part!!!!!

The piano sounds amazing!!! I figured it would sound a little better with the lid open to the long part of the room (and also with the door to the hallway etc) but wow, I was not expecting what a huge difference it makes!! The bass sounds so much richer! It sounds better across the keyboard really. Wow!! I am so glad I did this!

happydance Keyboard Jam happydance

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That’s a very nice room.

Looks like a pro laid it out. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
And now you can see who’s in the room with you while you’re seated at the keyboard. I hate having my back to a room.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve. At first I kind of panicked because I wasn't sure it was the right thing to do, but after we got all the furniture in place, and with LL's suggestion of moving the bookcase making it possible for the two chairs to face each other, I just fell in love with it! Mr. Sk and I sat in there chatting before I practiced last night, we never did that before.

quote:
And now you can see who’s in the room with you while you’re seated at the keyboard.

Yes, I love that!!! That was my biggest motivation for moving it actually. Since I got the grand, I've had two small parties where I've played for people, one with violin, one solo. With violin, she faced the people, but I sat with my back to them and I *hated* it. When I played solo, I tried to have everyone sort of sit off more to the side, but there were still people directly behind me. Yuck! This is so, so much better!!!

Keyboard Jam