well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    COVID normal
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COVID normal
 Login/Join

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
My son and his girlfriend were over on Saturday and they both tested positive Monday. We were outside the whole time, but I still tested every day and still came up negative. I plan to get a (second) booster in a couple weeks so it ramps up in time for return to school but I‘m not terribly worried about getting it at this point.

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Oh, great.

My employer has decided that I must get a second booster by the end of the month. Because I am over 50. Younger people don’t have to get it.

This is frustrating. I want to time boosters to fit with my life. I will probably go visit my dad in October, so that is when I would like to get a booster.

I fail to see the logic in forcing someone who works from home except one day in the office to get a booster. Who is my employer trying to protect?

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Cindy, wow, that’s really frustrating.

I am pretty much as pro-vax as you can be, but I don’t think a policy like that makes sense.

I haven’t gotten my second booster yet either (also over 50) and am sort of waffling about the timing, and worried about side effects given how my previous experiences went…

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Cindy, like Shiro I am very pro-vax but that definitely seems ridiculous to me. If you were in the healthcare field or another job where you had daily high risk contact with folks I would totally understand, but that’s not the case where you work. Bizarre, and frustrating for you!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Cindy, is that age discrimination to require it for over 50?

I’m vaxed up, but that’s my choice.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
is that age discrimination to require it for over 50?

I was wondering that as well...

Does your employer require you to get a colonoscopy because you're over 50? At this point, the vax requirement seems like the same thing??

ETA, ok, ok, I know colon cancer isn't contagious so it's not the same, but.... suave

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I think it depends on where the university is getting its guidance. If there's something in either the state or federal/CDC guidance that recommends a 4th booster for anyone age 50+, I think the uni can say it's a public health directive without worrying about age discrimination.

It would be an interesting case. In the absence of specific state or federal guidance, though, I think they may be vulnerable.

Note there is a difference between a vaccination mandate and recommendations. SK, what are the consequences if you don't get the 4th booster? Are you fired? Are there exemptions (religious, philosophical, medical) that you can use?

Also, I think your uni is private? I'm not that familiar with private university legal stuff, but my impression is that they can do whatever the heck they want, including saying you'll be fired if you don't comply. Publics don't get quite that much freedom (and a whole lot more oversight).

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Oh, great.

My employer has decided that I must get a second booster by the end of the month. Because I am over 50. Younger people don’t have to get it.

This is frustrating. I want to time boosters to fit with my life. I will probably go visit my dad in October, so that is when I would like to get a booster.

I fail to see the logic in forcing someone who works from home except one day in the office to get a booster. Who is my employer trying to protect?

CDC just changed its guidance on quarantine, etc. Pretty much acknowledging that we're just gonna have to live with COVID. Any chance your employer will rethink the vaccination requirement?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
SK, what are the consequences if you don't get the 4th booster? Are you fired? Are there exemptions (religious, philosophical, medical) that you can use?

Nina, you got me and Cindy mixed up! Big Grin

I work at a public university in "the South." There are no sensible covid rules down here any more. In fact, the pandemic is over, haven't you heard?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Oh, great.

CDC just changed its guidance on quarantine, etc. Pretty much acknowledging that we're just gonna have to live with COVID. Any chance your employer will rethink the vaccination requirement?

I don't think this decision was based on, "science." I've come to deeply distrust the CDC. The new guidance is wear masks (the ninth flip flop on this issue or thereabouts). People in my high risk Florida county ripped their masks off (including pharmacists-- you'd think they would know better), and they aren't putting them back on again from the looks of it.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Are we on fourth boosters?! The second one resulted in chronic fatigue for me.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SK:

There are no sensible covid rules down here any more. In fact, the pandemic is over, haven't you heard?

SK, I feel the same way. There are no sensible rules here, and people are acting like the pandemic is over.

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I got the booster. Moderna. Like my first booster, it didn’t do anything.

The shots were great at first, but now they’re just dumb. It’s nice to know I’m protected against delta and omicron, I guess.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm still hoping to time mine for early September, but it's complicated at the moment based on some medications I'm taking.

But I'm pro-booster and will get it (my 2nd) as soon as I can, but hopefully at a time that makes sense as well.

I guess I don't think getting them is dumb, Cindy. While the vast majority of us will have a relatively mild case of COVID if we get it, we will also expose others who may have underlying medical conditions that mean contracting COVID could result in significant medical implications. For that reason alone I will be getting the 2nd booster.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen any science that a second booster makes you less likely to catch or spread covid, especially if you e already had covid. Especially since the virus has already mutated away from the vaccine. Especially when the booster efficacy drops so quickly.