well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    About that meat shortage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

About that meat shortage
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
That is not expensive for halibut. Here it’s close to 30/lb

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
That is not expensive for halibut. Here it’s close to 30/lb

This is unusual to be able to buy off the boat.
They cannot sell to the restaurants so are offering quick sales to the locals.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
At $16 a lb I'd fill the freezer with scallops and halibut like that.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
That’s a great price on halibut. Is it filleted or?

I’m always afraid I’ll wreck it when it’s $30/lb...

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:

You must have a lot more $$$ than I!!!

And yes, they limit us...
And one place had to change offerings as they did sales at car windows and the line blocked city traffic...boat had to buy a truck to sell out of it!

And don't forget I live on the ocean ...let's not compare last week's lobster price! Btw, it has now gone up.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Hadn't been to a TJ's for many weeks. I had heard that the store in my town was employing really good practices to keep people as safe as possible. Didn't know if it was just our store, or chain-wide.

This morning I was back in the town where we went to college and had some time to kill and shopping to do, so I stopped at the TJ's there. Was very glad to see store employees outside handing out cleaned carts, and one standing just inside the door offering a dose of hand sanitizer. There were lines on the floor to show 6 ft distances, and the cashiers had the now-common plexiglass shields at the checkout.

People in the store were *very* careful about maintaining their distance.

Didn't see shortages of anything, and I loaded up my cart with all kinds of stuff, both old favorites and some new things.

I think I'm good for at least another month, if not more.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
quote:

You must have a lot more $$$ than I!!!

And yes, they limit us...
And one place had to change offerings as they did sales at car windows and the line blocked city traffic...boat had to buy a truck to sell out of it!

And don't forget I live on the ocean ...let's not compare last week's lobster price! Btw, it has now gone up.
Nah - there's just not much room in my freezer.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks! Just signed up for an every other week box. We shall see how it goes. Imperfect is too backed up. Between this and my CSA we should be well fixed.

Got my first Misfts box. The cold pack was totally melted and room temperature as was the produce. I got two mangoes that are just beat to death, a bunch of kale (yuck) that is too small even for one serving, a similarly sized butternut squash (that might be OK because I'm t he only one who likes it), a nice bunch of carrots, three apples, two oranges, four limes(???), green onions, one sweet onion, one yellow summer squash, half a dozen big red potatoes that look very nice and a package of cherry tomatoes that came open all over the box. I have no idea how long it had been at room temperature or higher. It was in an insulted bag which would indicate to me that it was warm for quite a while.

So all in all I got some useful produce, but the CSA I am getting from a local farm is better and fresher. I cancelled Misfits.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Ours arrived last Thursday.

Box was definitely cool but ice pack was melted. The box had something that looked like fabric insulation wrapped in plastic lining the interior.

We were satisfied with the selection:

One of those small champagne mangoes; it was perfect, one of the best I ever had.

Three red potatoes, one with a divot, but totally tasty.

Two cukes, one shrink wrapped English/greenhouse cuke and the other waxed. The English cuke got frostbite from the cold pack; we ate it the same day and it was very good.

One butternut squash, haven't had it yet.

Two turnips, one beat up, haven't eaten them yet.

Two medium beets.

Two bunches of nice looking broccoli.

The same pathetic bunch of kale that Mik got.

Two oranges that are hard as rocks; haven't tried them yet.

Three Four limes, very tasty.

Two apples, very tasty.

I kind of like getting stuff that I have to figure out what to do with, and not having to go to the store is nice. But....

We also signed up for a CSA. Won't get anything from them until June 19th. Found out that someone we know has been with that CSA for 20 years and has been thrilled with their produce, so looking forward to that.

Plus I'll have tomatoes, cukes, and peppers from my own garden in a few months.

I may get one more delivery from Misfits, or just cancel now. Not sure what I'll do after the CSA shuts down for the winter. I might consider Misfits again.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it wasn't that it was terrible, it was just a little underwhelming. The mangoes may turn out to be good but they are very, very bruised.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I may have mentioned already (maybe even in this thread Big Grin ) that my daughter has been quarantining with us and she has a vegetarian Hello Fresh subscription which has been coming to our house. I grew up in your basic meat, potatoes and a veg household and when we decided to drastically limit meat in our diet, I was at a loss as to what to cook and eat. Having 2 months of Hello Fresh has really helped me expand my thinking. Now I can pretty much go on autopilot and make a decent veggie meal, which is great. The difficult part is having all the fresh veggies (duh, I mean difficult in terms of having to go to the store more frequently), and there is a bit more boring prep time (chop chop chop) than when cooking a slab o' meat. I'm also discovering that it's super important to use a lot of spices and herbs. But it's actually been kind of fun to develop some new meal routines.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post