well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    About that meat shortage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

About that meat shortage
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I just ordered chicken meatballs, chuck roast, pork chops and some duck eggs, along with a green curry, lettuce and shallots. Love this local stuff.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
We're trying this out:

Misfits Market

As they say, "Always Fresh, ... Sometimes Normal!"

We're starting with the smaller package ... called "The Mischief."

A box of 10-13 pounds of slightly irregular organic fruits and vegetables.

I'm waitlisted on Imperfect Foods, so I figure I'll try Misfits.

If you have a code to share, please post it here!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Some friends told me about a family farm they've been buying pork from for a couple of years. It's not cheap, but the quality is great. They also have grassfed beef, lamb, and eggs.

They deliver for free to your house if you order over a certain dollar amount, or you can pick it up at one of several local farmers markets in the area when those are running. Interestingly, I just found out the market in my town plans to open in June. I would just have the family farmers deliver to the house to avoid the crowds.

All of these family farms and CSAs are doing great business right now.

It will be fun to experiment....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So I signed up for Misfits Market and will receive the first delivery this week.

I decided to stay on Imperfect Foods waitlist and compare the services.

Two slightly different models for how they operate. Also what products they carry.

I got a discount code after I signed up that I can pass along to anyone who might want to sign up as a new customer.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
We can get meat through a local farm. It's wicked expensive, but very good quality.

Right now, the issue is freezer space.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I will get my first box of CSA produce and fruit tomorrow. Eager to see what is in it.

WTG, I cancelled Imperfect as well. Just don't think they will be able to fulfill, and I have other sources.

Since I've been a big fan of local foods anyway I hope this gives a permanent boost to family farms.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
While I liked the idea of trying out various CSAs via farmers market , this may not be the best year to do that.

Found one online that looked good and signed up. They've been around since 1995 and got good reviews on various sites.

It's all vegetables, no fruit. You can specify your preferences for all the things they grow from "not for me" to "I love it". Mr wtg made me check the frownie face for cilantro...

First box is June 19th. Pickup is 5 minutes away.

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
We're trying this out:

Misfits Market

As they say, "Always Fresh, ... Sometimes Normal!"

We're starting with the smaller package ... called "The Mischief."

A box of 10-13 pounds of slightly irregular organic fruits and vegetables.

I'm waitlisted on Imperfect Foods, so I figure I'll try Misfits.

If you have a code to share, please post it here!

A bit late, but here's the code: COOKWME-ZH6ZEI

Just gives you a little discount.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thanks. If your code works like the one I got when I signed up, both parties get a discount. I just got billed for this week's (my first) delivery. I can try the code next week, but I have a feeling it was for my first order.

I'll likely be cancelling Misfits after a couple of deliveries because I'll be getting the CSA box starting in mid-June...so I won't post my code and steal your referral bucks.... Wink

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Just signed up for an every other week box. We shall see how it goes. Imperfect is too backed up. Between this and my CSA we should be well fixed.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Local Vons is limiting cheese to one package per customer, likely in response to the projected shortage of meat.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
We have an amazing local company that does a veggie box delivery weekly from April to November. They post your box for the week, but you can go in and make substitutions. I love that they focus on local and in season, but I am not stuck with bushels of something we won’t use. This is our third year with them.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I will receive a small box from them every other week, and on the off weeks from Misfits. Made a salad last night with just picked lettuce, radishes, cucumber, grape tomatoes and onion. Delicious and very, very fresh.

Tried a new sausage last night from a local charcuterie - Sai Ua. It's northern Thai and has red curry, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, red pepper and garlic. Absolutely delicious if you like Thai flavors. Totally unique.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Luckily was able to get some more really large scallops right off the boat again yesterday.

Scallops are expensive, and seasonal here.

But what a way to spoil us!

Bought 3 1lb bags, just shucked.

Baked 1 lb with garlic chives, butter and crushed stuffing part of a bag, with some crackers to stretch (running out of everything!

Much safer than going to the grocers, and a splurge @16 lb. lasts me 3 days.

2 bags in the freezer.

Hey this life might be safer, but also more expensive!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Waiting for another off the boat fish special. Again 16 $ Pound halibut.

Hopefully this week. Yup expensive but fresh off the boat is not like grocers!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post