well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    About that meat shortage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

About that meat shortage
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
It will be interesting to see how we do for meat here in Butte. Several stores sell local meat, wondering if they will be fine or not. So far the only thing that seems difficult to find is hand sanitizer and wipes. All the grocery stores are limiting the number of hard to stock items (including meat) that you can purchase at one time. Slightly off topic - I never paid attention to how long our toilet paper lasted before, but Scott’s toilet paper lasts forever. I bought one large package of it before this all started (end of February) and we still have tons left.
If you can't get meat in Montana were all gonna die.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20450 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
What is a CSA?

Chas' article hit on the head. I am tasked with making CSA deliveries to Seniors in need starting tomorrow. Should be interesting.

As for meat, I eat so little of it, it bothers me not.

I have been going to the grocery store less and less lately...Hitting a local dairy farm for milk in glass bottles, fresh local meat, cheese, local eggs and some sundries.

I am lucky that I can get whatever fresh veg we have a work, right now radishes, greens (fresh picked spinach is my fav!) and some root veggies.

I go to the local market for coffee, tp, etc...but not much else.

Cannot bring myself to order on Amazon given their latest employee issues.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
As for meat, I eat so little of it, it bothers me not.

I think you’re missing the point of the thread. Meat eaters aren’t just going to stop eating. They’ll start looking for other food, especially protein sources, so a shortage of meat will likely cause shortages in other food categories.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Whole Foods has frozen single serving sized mahi mahi and salmon filets in bags of 8. I have a couple of each in the freezer. Pretty inexpensive too.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
CSAs taking off.

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/10...o-door-csas-take-off

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37881 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Oh, whew. Scored six packages of extra firm tofu today.

I thought for a minute that I wasn't gonna survive this . . .

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
CSAs taking off.

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/10...o-door-csas-take-off
. I have two, one meat, one fruit and produce.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I just poked around a little and found a site that has a list of various CSAs with ratings, but all of the ratings are back from 2013, so I figure the site is a bit stale. I'll keep looking around.

Mik or anyone else who are already in this....got any tips for how to find and evaluate CSAs?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37881 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Buy products at the farm, see if you like them.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
The CSA that serves butte is all sold out.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20450 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
You buy good goat cheese for your dog?

Bet they really loved pate'. Ole

Ha! I do buy cheese for the dogs. Dallas is on three meds and the best way I’ve found to give them to him is wrapped in a bit of cheese ball. He seems to like the port wine flavor best.

Of course you can’t give one dog cheese and not the other so Sam gets some too.

And so do I. Smiler

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I just poked around a little and found a site that has a list of various CSAs with ratings, but all of the ratings are back from 2013, so I figure the site is a bit stale. I'll keep looking around.

Mik or anyone else who are already in this....got any tips for how to find and evaluate CSAs?

Alas, I'm no help. I just googled and found mine.

I found my Florida CSA at the farmer's market, so if you have one of those nearby, you might see somebody advertising a CSA or you could chat up individual farmers.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
We're trying this out:

Misfits Market

As they say, "Always Fresh, ... Sometimes Normal!"

We're starting with the smaller package ... called "The Mischief."

A box of 10-13 pounds of slightly irregular organic fruits and vegetables.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I was able to get Beyond Burger meat at our store, no problem. Same with fish. Chicken was a bit more difficult--they had it, but fewer options. Ditto for eggs.

I think I've mainly been seeing the impact of when the latest delivery took place, rather than overall shortages.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post