well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    About that meat shortage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

About that meat shortage
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
There will likely be a subsequent run on alternative protein sources. Get your nuts, eggs, cheese, etc now while you can

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Beans, too. Oats are pretty good for protein also.

We've been slowly stocking up on chicken and ground turkey for the last couple of weeks; that's mostly what we use.

I haven't heard anything about problems with the fish supply chain yet, but I imagine anything that is processed in a large facility with people working closely is in peril...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I've been stocking up on rice and beans as well. Also freezing some kielbasa to go with them, which is great eating in any event.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I am not ready (I mean, mentally) for this....

I also hate the way that shortages intersect with attempts to reduce the number of trips to the grocery store... -_-

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

I also hate the way that shortages intersect with attempts to reduce the number of trips to the grocery store... -_-
Word.

I have been going to Costco on Tuesdays. This week, we're good on supplies, so I planned to go on Friday. I hope there is animal protein available. I have a family to feed.

*sigh*

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Nut butters. We don't eat a lot of them, but peanut, almond, etc. are a decent source of protein....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
By the by... I tried the Costco almond butter. I don't recommend it. It's gritty and largely devoid of flavor. It almost tasted like they threw in the almonds with the shells on (like the deadly piña colada in the song "Killed by a Coconut").

I think the other one I tried was from Trader Joe's. It was much better.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Yeah, this is going to be hard for a lot of people.

Learning to cook meatless (and making things that taste good) takes time, effort, and commitment. It is especially difficult when things you might suddenly want are no longer in the stores.

My sister has been struggling to go meatless for the last few weeks, for health reasons. Basic things I use in meatless dishes like spices (e.g. cumin) are hard to find. That makes it hard to get launched.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I'm vegetarian/vegan anyway, but now I'm concerned carnivores will be buying up my supplies.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about the carnivores eating the veggie things. I find that most things I want are readily available.

Pasta has been tough at times, though.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yep, we've been ahead of the curve at Chez Nina, and eat meat only rarely.

Good thinking about alternatives, though. I should stock up on my beans, cheese and juevos a bit.

Fortunately, eggs are a quick turnaround resource, unlike, say, beef.

Although if I'm being honest, I rarely worry about whether I'm getting enough protein. I'm not growing, and the US diet is overly protein-focussed. I think we'll do fine. I do take a multivitamin every day, fwiw.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Potential catastrophe for those of us on the Keto diet!! (And before you point out vegetarian sources of protein, CHECK THEIR CARBS! Blink)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I'm vegetarian/vegan anyway, but now I'm concerned carnivores will be buying up my supplies.

I think you should be. They’re going to replace it with something.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:

I think you should be. They’re going to replace it with something.

I think more processed vegetarian options (beyond meat and similar) will be the first go to products for meat eaters because they don’t have to drastically change their eating habits or cooking style to suit. Dried beans will be the last to get snatched up. We can our own beans so I bought a bunch of bags of dried at the international market when this first began. We have a decent stock of home canned plus all of those dried ones. We will, however, be grabbing whatever tempeh we can find since it’s our preferred meat substitute.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

Word.

I have been going to Costco on Tuesdays. This week, we're good on supplies, so I planned to go on Friday. I hope there is animal protein available. I have a family to feed.

*sigh*

May I ask a question?

I keep reading about people who insist on going to Costco, Amazon, and Trader Joe’s when they are always out of stock of everything. Why?

Is there some reason why you prefer to trade at stores where they don’t have stock? Why not favor mainstream grocery stores where they have things for sale on the shelves?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post