well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bathroom refresh and new skills! Now with pics!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bathroom refresh and new skills! Now with pics!
 Login/Join

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted
A few weeks ago I decided that I couldn’t take the honey oak vanity anymore but we aren’t ready to do a real remodel. While I did learn lots of construction skills in theatre school, it’s been 20 something years and I haven’t really used them since. Thank goodness for YouTube and a very kind man named Paul who works at the local hardware store! In the past couple of weeks I have painted the ceiling, walls, and trim (not a new skill but I hate painting), patched a large (8”x17”) hole in the drywall, painted the laminate countertop (thanks, diy bloggers for this one! It won’t last forever but it will last long enough!), stained the honey oak cabinets to a lovely walnut brown and added new hardware, laid peel and stick tile, installed a new toilet, replaced the vanity light fixture, and recaulked everything! Hubby helped with the toilet (more because of the weight than anything else) but the rest I did solo. I need to install some shelves above the toilet but than it’s done!

My folks are coming over tomorrow and I didn’t tell them because my dad is a super handyman and I was worried he would feel obligated to help. Hopefully he isn’t offended that I didn’t ask!

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4082 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow!!!! Congrats, that sounds like a huge amount of work!! Can you share some before and after pics?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That’s great! ThumbsUp

You may be surprised at how well the paint on your countertop holds up. I have a unit with a painted countertop in the kitchen that’s been there for 3 years that I know of and it still looks really good. All I had to do was touch up a few knife scratches.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
worthless

Posts: 4390 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
worthless

DITTO!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I don’t really have a before picture, which is so weird. This is actually from a few years ago when we repainted so it’s a disaster but you can get a sense of things.

And here it is this morning…

This one was taken with a wide angle because the bathroom is obviously too small to really get this photo otherwise.

I wasn’t sold on doing the open shelves but I am really glad I did!

It’s amazing what a stain and new hardware can do!

Posts: 4082 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Very nice upgrade!

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow, looks amazing!!!

How did your father like it? Smiler

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Looks terrific! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Wow, looks amazing!!!

How did your father like it? Smiler

Thanks! He was really impressed with all the work I did! All positive reviews! Smiler

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Wow, what an improvement! I'd say your construction skills are intact. It looks great.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
The multiple improvements you made to individual elements of the bathroom add up to a great result. I imagine the biggest investment was your work.

By the way, the camera and glass insulator on the shelf are just the sort of unexpected accents that I really enjoy when I encounter them.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7380 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
All positive reviews!

Wonderful! And not surprising!

We have two bathrooms on our main level (one with shower only and one with a traditional bathtub/shower unit). We also have a bathroom in the basement that looks like it was created by a complete idiot. There's laminate flooring used for the walls and ceilings (OMG, I know) and other things, the whole thing just looks horrible. But it has a perfectly functional toilet, sink, and shower stall. It's next to Mr SK's studio (also in the basement) so he uses it all the time.

Eventually we want to re-do it. Or if we were selling the house, just making it look nice even if it was all cheap, unit-type materials, would probably be important.

But to me, it looks like we'd need to rip off all the wall and ceiling materials, take out the sink and shower stall, maybe just get everything to the studs? And basically start from scratch.

So, as you might imagine, we haven't done anything to it. suave

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
All positive reviews!

Wonderful! And not surprising!

We have two bathrooms on our main level (one with shower only and one with a traditional bathtub/shower unit). We also have a bathroom in the basement that looks like it was created by a complete idiot. There's laminate flooring used for the walls and ceilings (OMG, I know) and other things, the whole thing just looks horrible. But it has a perfectly functional toilet, sink, and shower stall. It's next to Mr SK's studio (also in the basement) so he uses it all the time.

Eventually we want to re-do it. Or if we were selling the house, just making it look nice even if it was all cheap, unit-type materials, would probably be important.

But to me, it looks like we'd need to rip off all the wall and ceiling materials, take out the sink and shower stall, maybe just get everything to the studs? And basically start from scratch.

So, as you might imagine, we haven't done anything to it. suave

We have a similar basement bathroom, Shiro. Maybe not quite as bad, but the shower stall they installed doesn’t fit in the room, and the shower head has no choice but to spray water out into the room when the door is open. I didn’t realize how bad it was until we shut down our upstairs bathroom to do the refresh! But our whole basement was done by folks who had no clue what they were doing (less of a clue than I have, anyway) so there’s a lot of work to be done down there!

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:

By the way, the camera and glass insulator on the shelf are just the sort of unexpected accents that I really enjoy when I encounter them.

Big Al

Thanks! I love those kinds of things too, Al!