well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Oh, Deer!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh, Deer!
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
I realize that for some of you, this is meh on white toast, but I live in the inner suburbs (the ones Biden is set to destroy). We have parks and some open space nearby, but not vast tracts or greenbelts for a couple miles. And I live on the corner of two busy streets.

Yesterday, I was out staking up my potato plants and I saw this guy (or gal) just casually walking through the back yard. When he (or she) saw me, he (or she) ducked in between the shed, the beauty bush, and the flowering plum (which fell over and is touching the ground, but still quite alive). I ran inside and grabbed my phone. I didn't want to get too close, so the picture is a bit chonky.

But, this is the first time I've seen a deer in my back yard, and I've lived here for 32 years (and seven more before going off to college). I'd say he (or she) was a good five feet tall.

We had seen some doots in the back yard that clearly looked like deer, and something had been nibbling on the tops of my carrots which are in a 2-foot tall pot... definitely not bunnies!

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30028 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Five feet would be a decent sized male elk, or a small moose!

Posts: 12480 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Five feet to the tops of his (or her) ears. I’m just guessing.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30028 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I am not surprised..I live in a city of 110K folks but we have some green space in my neighborhood. My neighbor had a regular deer visit last year to her bird feeder.

But in June, we are in the parking lot of our office doing socially distant distribution of perks for donors...As we stood there, we looked up to find a deer trotting down the downtown street!!!

About the same time in June we had a young moose strolling around town..She was tranquilized and moved to higher ground..

But heck...lets talk about the smaller critters...chipmunks and squirrels here are running the place! Rabbits, groundhogs and fox are a close second...Like nothing seen in years.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Seen on my evening stroll through the neighborhood. The animals foraging in a front yard. Never saw mom.

Posts: 12480 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Uh oh...

Cute as Bambi might be, they are very much over populating our city areas. There is trouble coming unless they are controlled. I dread the day they find me.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post