well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    We Did Some Landscaping ....
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We Did Some Landscaping ....
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Wondering whether the deep snow protects the pansy seeds.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

Another relative fall newcomer...ornamental cabbages and kales. They can survive the frost and last past Thanksgiving.

I'm lazy about planting this time of year. I'm too busy raking up the damn leaves....

Here on the prairie...no leaves, except from the small trees we've planted.

The landscaper had the ornamental cabbage in his design, but it was one of the few things where I said, "....nah." They give a lot of color, but they look so...cabbage-y. I could just as well plant purple kale and eat the stuff. But that's just me. I see it everywhere, planted with pansies, and it gives color all winter. I think he's going to bring some more pansies to replace the ornamental kale. We talked about chrysanthemums, but they're really about spent now.

In Florida, you could plant snapdragons about now, but I don't see anybody doing that, so I think they're too tender.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
Looking good! (Is one of those trees a spruce?)

You have to ask Mary Anna. Plants are her domain. I buy exercise equipment. Smiler

Well you did say in the original post that you were *sprucing* things up!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post