well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    We Did Some Landscaping ....
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We Did Some Landscaping ....
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Perennial pansies drop seeds and spread at 9000 feet.
The name is from Panzer, like the tanks. They are tough.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
https://images-na.ssl-images-a...zrjOL._AC_SX425_.jpg

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I bet you'll love his shrub/tree selection as most of them are different!

Pansies are not forever plants here north of Boston...

Try the New Guinea Impatiens next summer, much more showy and they are good sun and shade. And some of the new showy begonias are out of this world, nothing like the old ones! 1.5 ft and grouped are just amazing. I'll try to send pics on FB.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
I bet you'll love his shrub/tree selection as most of them are different!

Pansies are not forever plants here north of Boston...

Try the New Guinea Impatiens next summer, much more showy and they are good sun and shade. And some of the new showy begonias are out of this world, nothing like the old ones! 1.5 ft and grouped are just amazing. I'll try to send pics on FB.

New Guinea Impatiens are a good idea! Thanks! I've seen them in the stores but never planted any.

I need to find out if lantana are invasive here. They are in Florida, but I think probably not here. If they're not, one of the prostrate varieties might look good around those rocks.

Yes, I like it that he used so many different plants. I think he could tell that I liked color and variety. I went out and looked again to remind myself and I see some red barberry, golden spiraea, and painted Japanese fern. There's more than one kind of abelia, and one of them is called Kaleidoscope, which is a pretty good description of the leaf colors. He's coming back with some sage with purple flowers, not one I've grown before. And Quirt and I both really like the leaf colors on that weeping redbud.

I took some pictures of the refurbished vegetable garden and will post after I cook supper.

We also did some lighting on the trees and house, and some things that are important but don't show, like sprinklers and some underground drains to get the water off this impervious clay soil.

He moved some of my roses to the side yard and put some beds around the trees that we can fill with annuals or with shrubs later, but that's not scenic enough today for pictures.

It's been a lot of fun to watch it happen.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I’ll have to remember to take a picture at night. The landscaper has a lighting plan where the trees are individually hit with two or three separate up lights each.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I am in love with that redbud. I have a plan to plant one much like this one (with purple leaves) this coming spring. ThumbsUp

And I love the shape of the beds. Nice work!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Love the three browns - the mulch, the shutters, the warm stone. Wonderfully mated. I think people pay too little attention to colorizing outer decor.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Looks like you have a talented landscaper!

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
Love the three browns - the mulch, the shutters, the warm stone. Wonderfully mated. I think people pay too little attention to colorizing outer decor.

The stones already have moss on them, so they're fun to look at from the get-go. (Who knew that you could buy them that way?)

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:

It's funny how plants behave so very differently in different climates. They're not perennial here or in Florida, but they give up the ghost from the heat in early spring. So here, they grow in winter. LL gets them in the summer, I think, or fall. And you get them all year!

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Looks very nice!

Is the weeping deciduous tree in the second photo a beech? Or is that the redbud you mentioned?

quote:
The stones already have moss on them, so they're fun to look at from the get-go. (Who knew that you could buy them that way?)

I had some retaining wall blocks that I had used as edging but decided to remove. I put them on craigslist and they sold immediately. People were glad I didn't power wash the moss off!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
That's the redbud, wtg. In the summer, its leaves are purple, but it's already started changing for the winter.

We have a regular old non-weeping redbud with green leaves in the back yard that I just love. It's beautiful for weeks in the spring time when it blooms, and we can see it from the kitchen and living room. The neighbors have one that I can see from my office window, and now I think I'll be able to see this one, too!

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:

It's funny how plants behave so very differently in different climates. They're not perennial here or in Florida, but they give up the ghost from the heat in early spring. So here, they grow in winter. LL gets them in the summer, I think, or fall. And you get them all year!

I've had them come up from seeds here and there in the yard. I had a couple of volunteers pop up between the bricks on the patio.

Pansies here were usually planted in the spring here; they kind of fizzle out during the summer. But now nurseries have started stocking them in the autumn along with the old fall favorite, mums. The cool weather agrees with them.

Another relative fall newcomer...ornamental cabbages and kales. They can survive the frost and last past Thanksgiving.

I'm lazy about planting this time of year. I'm too busy raking up the damn leaves....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post