well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    We Did Some Landscaping ....
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We Did Some Landscaping ....
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
The front our house has been a little bare, and Mary Anna has wanted more plantings. So we redid the front to spruce it up, and we added some beds.

We also put a layer of crushed limestone er vegetable garden (with the elevated beds), so she won’t have to fight through the weeds to get to her vegetable beds.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Looks like a lot of work was done.
Looks great and will look better with time.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Looking good! (Is one of those trees a spruce?)

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
Looking good! (Is one of those trees a spruce?)

You have to ask Mary Anna. Plants are her domain. I buy exercise equipment. Smiler

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
A wee bit foggy out there... oh, the plants look good! Big Grin

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Nice!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
That’s beautiful!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
The weeping blue cedar is going to get HUGE! Just so you know...

Huge! I love it.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Nice! Are those pansies?

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I thought I saw somebody moving around in the front yard. I'm hiding behind that window, grading papers. Smiler

We were very happy with the landscaper and he seemed to be planning for things to grow. The drooping tree outside my window will supposedly grow in an atmospherically asymmetric way that is pointed away from the house. It's not a blue spruce, although I forget its name.

I think the blue trees out in the islands are Atlas blue spruces, and there's room for them to get big.

You can't see a lot of the smaller plantings at this range, but there are drift roses, Encore azaleas, abelias, hostas, two kinds of heuchera, Indian hawthorne, nandinas, loropetalums, buddleia, a redbud, and many other things that I'm forgetting that will give color all the year. And there are some evergreen things like boxwood and yaupon holly to give it all structure.

When things go dormant, he's going to move that Japanese maple out of the dooryard into one of the islands and replace it with one that has a different, more tree-like form.

Yes, those are pansies. They should spread out and he says that they'll go all winter here in Oklahoma. They did that in Florida, but I was surprised that they'd winter over here, because we have hard frosts. In the spring, I'll probably put in some impatiens in their place in the shade and I'm not sure what will be good for the sun yet. I'm sure the landscaper will have thoughts, but I have thoughts, too. Smiler

Because I'm not the best at upkeep, we'll probably have his team come quarterly to keep everything clipped and neat.

I'm really happy with how it's turning out.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I just remembered--one of the evergreens is a deodor cedar. There's a weeping blue atlas cedar and a regular one, and there's the weird one in front that is some kind of cedar. So I don't think any of them are spruces.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Oh, and there are a couple of kinds of ornamental grasses. I've never had any of those because I always think "Grass? Meh," but we're on the freakin' prairie. I figured we should listen to the man and plant some grasses.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I love pansies! They were our winter flowers in Arizona, and they're just not as popular or available up here. I'm not sure why, they would do great. I used to stuff johnny-jump-ups in wherever I had a gap in our beds. Big Grin

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Looks great. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post