well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Is Anyone Good With Paint Colors?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Anyone Good With Paint Colors?
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
I need to paint two bedrooms. Both have a ton of light. One is small-ish (say, 10x14), and the other is really big (imagine a room where you could fit a queen size bed, and then another one at the foot of that one, then room for a couple of dressers and nightstands).

The little room needs to work as a gender neutral nursery.

The big room needs to work as a guest room/exercise room.

I'm thinking light colors, but not true neutrals. I am partial to blues and greens; aversion to purple, orange, pink, brown.

And when I paint, I use Benjamin Moore.

OK, go nuts!

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
For the small room a pale blue. Crisp white trim.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/...57/california-breeze

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
For the big room a color I have used extensively in my house.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/...r/631/aberdeen-green

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
That Aberdeen green looks nice. Any sort of pale sagey green. (Ive found that you want to pick one a little lighter than the chip you like - they seem to go on darker than you think)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20413 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
We have a blueish grey all through our house, I never thought I’d like the color, but I love it. It’s very peaceful, and the paintings look nice on it.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20413 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Ooh, I like those!

I might do the green in my bedroom too. Right now it is some kind of attempt at a neutral brown.

It reminds me of the inside of a coffin.

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I'm big on clear colors. I think they reflect light better. A little greying down is ok, but better reserved for cabinets and furniture.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
What do you have on the floor, and what colors are the furniture?

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Mik, what is a clear color?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18323 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Color with no darkness or what I like to call muddiness.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
A paint tip that really helped me - let's say you like the color (that green is really nice) but it's just too intense or strong. You can ask the paint people to reduce the color intensity (not the color itself) - so you could ask them to mix you up a test pint or whatever the smallest size is of the green, then 75% green, then 50% green, etc.

We ended up with a color that was 25% whatever. I'm not a fan of strong colors on walls, and this was a way to keep the general tone of the color without having quite so much pigment.

(Jodi probably knows the actual names of what I'm talking about, like I'm sure there's a term for intense, maybe saturation?)

Also when you get to that point, try a large-ish test swatch on a few different walls, areas that get sun, areas that are in the shade, etc. Also let them dry fully. The colors can really change when they're dry. When I did this, it was really super obvious to me which of the paint swatches were going to work and which weren't. Forget the color chips, you need to see it on the wall, dry, in sun and in shade.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Ooh, I like those!

I might do the green in my bedroom too. Right now it is some kind of attempt at a neutral brown.

It reminds me of the inside of a coffin.

ummm, how do you know what that looks like? are you a vampire?

Leaving

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9788 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
A paint tip that really helped me - let's say you like the color (that green is really nice) but it's just too intense or strong. You can ask the paint people to reduce the color intensity (not the color itself) - so you could ask them to mix you up a test pint or whatever the smallest size is of the green, then 75% green, then 50% green, etc.

We ended up with a color that was 25% whatever. I'm not a fan of strong colors on walls, and this was a way to keep the general tone of the color without having quite so much pigment.

(Jodi probably knows the actual names of what I'm talking about, like I'm sure there's a term for intense, maybe saturation?)

Also when you get to that point, try a large-ish test swatch on a few different walls, areas that get sun, areas that are in the shade, etc. Also let them dry fully. The colors can really change when they're dry. When I did this, it was really super obvious to me which of the paint swatches were going to work and which weren't. Forget the color chips, you need to see it on the wall, dry, in sun and in shade.

Another good trick is to tint your ceiling white like 5 or 10% the color of the walls. That way it doesn't yellow out so much.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Color with no darkness or what I like to call muddiness.

Ahh, ok. Thanks!

I'm not a fan of the super flat grays that I see in a lot of real estate listings these days. There are some grays, and gray-beige, colors that I like, but I also see a lot that look the color name should be "gun metal" or something.

Not a fan.

Oh, and now people are painting their floors gray. Yuck!

Sorry for the threaddrift, Cindy!!

Re painting it on the wall and seeing what it looks like, that helped us a lot. I remember Steve pointed out that with lighter whiges and off-white colors, which is what we used through out, they can even pick up greens from outside the windows and so on. So we chose very carefully and were really, really happy with the results.

A fresh coat of paint in a new color makes such a huge difference in the room too!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18323 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Some grays are really nice and warm - Shwerwin Williams Agreeable Gray looks fantastic aired with darker warm tones and white trim. But a whole house that's gray? Ugh.

The other thing is don't even consider what's trendy. It won't be for long. Use beautiful colors that you love. There are a ton of them.