well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Thoughts on the spice trade

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on the spice trade
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
Isn't it interesting that Europeans brought spices from the Middle East and Asia, used there for curries and other savory dishes, and then turned them into flavorings for sweet European desserts?

Cloves, cinnamon, coriander, ginger, cardamom, allspice, etc.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Hasn’t bring out giant worms from the sand piles, so far so good.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Interesting point, RP.

I remember when I started cooking foods from cuisines I was not familiar with I thought, "why would you put cinnamon in a savory dish like pastitsio?". My only exposure to cinnamon previously was, as you mention, in sweet dishes.

I guess it's just what you get used to!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Hasn’t bring out giant worms from the sand piles, so far so good.

Ahaaaaaha.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
There's a recipe in the WTF cookbook (I think it was from either Bee Lady or AdagioM) that is a lamb stew with cinnamon. It's fantastic, and the cinnamon gives it a really exotic flavor. I've made it all the time. It's best with lamb, in my opinion, but still pretty good with beef.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
There's a recipe in the WTF cookbook (I think it was from either Bee Lady or AdagioM) that is a lamb stew with cinnamon. It's fantastic, and the cinnamon gives it a really exotic flavor. I've made it all the time. It's best with lamb, in my opinion, but still pretty good with beef.

I don’t think it was me. And hey, where is Bee Lady these days?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I used to get invited to a New Year’s gathering of artistic types in Manhattan (it only stopped because our host sadly passed away) where there was always the most wonderful array of homemade dishes. The one relevant here is a dish of carrots seasoned with cardamom. It was unforgettable. Wish I’d asked for the recipe.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I thought they also used them to disguise the flavor of food that was beyond its shelf life.

Like modern restaurants and their invariably spicily-prepared fish specials.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I thought they also used them to disguise the flavor of food that was beyond its shelf life.
Probably true, but I also thought there was something about certain spices being preservatives in themselves (not sure how true that is).

On a related note, I've bought store-bought hummus and pesto sauce (in the refrigerated section) and I can distinctly taste vinegar, neither of which belongs in these foods. Simply there to prolong shelf life.