well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What’s in my purse?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s in my purse?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I've gone back to paying cash or writing a check at small local businesses. Saves them money. I'm OK with losing the rewards on my credit cards.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37834 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Oh, and the piano technician. I pay him with a check too.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20430 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I've gone back to paying cash or writing a check at small local businesses. Saves them money. I'm OK with losing the rewards on my credit cards.

Completely unrelated, you know what we’ve gone back to? Steve got sick of google/YouTube music not playing on our devices reliably, so he bought a small CD player at the pawn shop, and we’ve got it hooked into our stereo system and we’re back to playing music that way. Much nicer.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20430 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I purged a ton of CDs earlier this year but also kept a bunch that are my favorites.

The CD player on my old boombox is starting to get temperamental, so I decided to splurge and get a Bose Wave radio and CD player. A friend's son works for Bose and I got it for half price.

I still listen to FM radio, both at home and in the car. Our 2016 Subie has a CD player as well.

This geezer is all set. Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37834 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I just recently had to pay by check, in the mail, with a stamp!!! To put a deposit on my driveway repaving.

The guy is the best in the business but he has been in that business for 52 years.

I had trouble reaching him, I drove to his site...I asked about his phone "Oh, I turned that off!" I asked about his website "Oh, I turned that off,too!" He was just too busy to take on new work!!!

He took my address down on yellow lined paper in his truck. He later, the same day, called me to say he had been by to measure.."Have I worked for you before?"

I told him I had only been here 6 years...He asked the previous owners names....

Turns out he resurfaced my driveway 40 years ago!

I will leave a check on the porch for him. Yes

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Doesn't Venmo charge a fee?

Only if you want your money instantly. Wait 1-2 days and it’s free.

Zelle is even better. My bank to yours instantly. No fee.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34877 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
I take paypal and square for the art stuff I sell online. And I use PayPal to buy all sorts of stuff. And credit cards. I almost never carry cash. But I still carry the checkbook just in case. Big Grin

PayPal is pretty much a relic these days. Venmo and Zelle work much better. The exception is eBay - they’re owned by the same people and PayPal works fairly well. Just don’t give them access to your checking account.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34877 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I pay my water bill by mailing in a paper check. And I pay the piano tech by check... I think that's about the only thing I pay by check anymore.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18376 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
My state and local government accept credit card and electronic check payments for most things, and for a few of these things the credit card “convenience fee” substantially exceed that for the electronics check, while paying with a paper check requires no such fee at all. So there is still a bit of disincentive to pay by credit card or electronic check if you really don’t want to pay any “convenience fee”.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12685 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I sometimes order concert tickets online to avoid just showing up to an event that's sold out. The
"convenience fees" can be pretty aggravating on these sites, like $2.50 on a $10.00 ticket. Whereas if you use your card for purchase of most anything else online, there's no fee.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13792 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
What time is it in Montana?

1964. Cool

ROTFLMAO

not far off. one of the things i like about it.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21310 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Oh, and the piano technician. I pay him with a check too.

who did you end up getting?

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Most of the stuff I really need to have on hand is in my truck. Tool box. Flashlight. Headlamp. Paper towels. Box cutter. Multi-tool. Digital tire pressure gauge. Microphones. Sunglasses and prescription glasses. Backup camera and batteries. Bottles of water. Emergency food. Wool capote. Oil, fix flat, tranny fluid. And the purse stays in my truck, too, for the most part.

the purse has two checkbooks in it. One for my Missoula account, one for my Helena account. A wallet with credit cards and cash. Usually several pocket notebooks, a reporter's notebook, tons of pens, lots of lip balm. First aid in a ziplok bag with the usual first aid stuff. Reading glasses. Hand lotion. Throat lozenges. Mints. Receipts.

The phone stays on my person. I think this is a holdover from horseback riding.

When I ride I wear a fisherman's vest with lots of pockets holding everything I might need if I get separated from my horse. Back in the days of the mountain men they wore a "possibles bag" for the same reason--a small bag with a flint and steel, some fishing line and a hook, and of course they had a knife on their belt and a canteen over their shoulder.

In my mudroom I have a shoebox marked "possibles" for keeping the contents of my riding/fishing vest handy.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I write a lot more checks since I got a horse. The trainer, the chiropractor, the hay guy, the hay delivery guy all get checks. The barn owner where I take lessons gets cash for use of the arena. Otherwise I use Amex as much as possible.

I hate PayPal and use it only through my Amex card.

Kerri I love your story about the driveway paving guy. That sounds so much like Montana. Smiler

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

PayPal is pretty much a relic these days. Venmo and Zelle work much better. The exception is eBay - they’re owned by the same people and PayPal works fairly well. Just don’t give them access to your checking account.

For comparison, I've had no end trouble with transfers through Zelle, and have found PayPal super handy (I heard they owned Venmo - had bought them to reduce competition. Not so?)

And as for "PayPal works fairly well. Just don’t give them access to your checking account."

HairRaising HairRaising

WHY?

(Needless to say, they do. I pay people using them to withdraw the funds from a bank account and also receive small funds through them. I have quite a lot of money in that checking account too.)

Of course, I shouldn't, but there are several sources that send me payments set up through there - also largish automatically debited bills.
Not enough to justify that balance but interest rates have been so nonexistent it didn't seem to matter.

Now, I'm considering opening another account with a little local bank, exclusively for the purpose of Paypal. I'd keep as small a balance as I can without paying fees.

That, or having PayPal withdraw funds from a credit card, even though I think they charge a percentage.

Do you know of anyone who's had funds embezzled through Paypal? Don't they have any kind of guarantee about their online security?? No accountability?

(Will change my password there ASAP)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post