well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Korean food
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Korean food
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
1 LB Daikon, cubed
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

Make the brine and stir to dissolve sugar. Add daikon and onion and stir. Cover and store in fridge. Recipe says it will last up to two weeks.

That sounds remarkably easy for something that sounds so delectable. I have all the ingredients except daikon right now, so it's off to find some. Thanks!

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13771 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Quick pickles are great. AdagioM got me started with her recipe for Mexican Pickled Carrots:

http://well-temperedforum.grou...921030366#4921030366

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37683 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
1 LB Daikon, cubed
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

Make the brine and stir to dissolve sugar. Add daikon and onion and stir. Cover and store in fridge. Recipe says it will last up to two weeks.

That sounds remarkably easy for something that sounds so delectable. I have all the ingredients except daikon right now, so it's off to find some. Thanks!

The ones I tried had something like chili oil on them, which was good.

I also like them in salads because they stay crunchy. Very satisfying.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I tried another quick pickle, this time with watermelon radishes instead of Daikon.

The result wasn't very good. Even after a week in the refrigerator the radishes are still to chewy. I'll use Daikon next time.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I can't contribute much to this thread, except to report that my wife had two English as Second Language students who were Korean. The three of them went to a well-recommended restaurant in a small town not far from here that used to be a coal patch and her students chose the dishes for their meal. They said the food was authentic and my wife enjoyed their meal. I will visit that restaurant after some restrictions go away (I've received both shots of the Phizer vaccine now.).

We shop at an oriental market not too far from us and buy some things that my wife had recommended to her. I sometimes pick something off the shelf that looks interesting, but that is very much a hit or miss procedure. I'll have to get a daikon radish or two the next time we shop there, because I like a lot of pickles. One of my wife's favorites is half-sour pickles, which we can usually buy in a kosher market in the city, but are not always easy to find otherwise. Some locations for our largest regional supermarket chain have them in their deli department, but it's hit or miss finding them.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7368 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I still have some of the daikon pickle left. It’s still good.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13771 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I still have some of the daikon pickle left. It’s still good.
Actually, it has improved. Two weeks out, it’s “funkier” in a good way.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Quick pickles are great. AdagioM got me started with her recipe for Mexican Pickled Carrots:

http://well-temperedforum.grou...921030366#4921030366

Oooh, thanks for the reminder; I have carrots!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post