well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tuskegee Remembrance - 50 years

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tuskegee Remembrance - 50 years
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Wow. I don’t think I knew this went on into the 70s.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/tu...membrance/index.html

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
No kidding. And apparently they would have kept going.

quote:
The person who blew the whistle on the study was Peter Buxtun, an epidemiologist employed by the U.S. Public Health Service. Reflecting on the Tuskegee study years later, he said, “I didn’t want to believe it. This was the Public Health Service. We didn’t do things like that.” A front-page headline on the July 26, 1972, issue of the New York Times announced, “Syphilis Victims in U.S. Study Went Untreated for 40 Years.” On November 16, 1972 — 40 years ago tomorrow — a memorandum from Assistant Secretary of Health Merlin DuVal ordered the termination of the Tuskegee study. (Prior to serving as assistant secretary of health, DuVal was also the founding dean, in 1964, of the University of Arizona College of Medicine.)

In addition to terminating the study, the federal government began paying reparations to the victims and their families. In a presidential apology 25 years later, Bill Clinton admitted that “[t]he United States government did something that was wrong — deeply, profoundly, morally wrong.” In spite of those acts, the legacy of the Tuskegee study persists. Although distrust of the medical establishment existed among blacks long before the study, a common view among researchers and health care providers is that revelations of the study’s unethical practices cemented that distrust. Suspicions about childhood vaccines and AIDS research and treatment, among other resistance to medical care and research, have been attributed to the study’s legacy.

http://advocatesaz.org/2012/11...egee-40-years-later/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
There’s another bad legacy of it - the pendulum swing way too far in terms of IRB requirements. It adds so much friction and delay to medical progress.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
"The intention is to create a space for authentic, accurate storytelling and discussion regarding current and future opportunities for public health leaders at CDC and beyond to move from trust to trustworthiness."

I'm sorry; I misplaced my Woke to English dictionary.

I personally think that this history is revelatory of the nature of evil which is always with us.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post