well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The junkification of Amazon
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The junkification of Amazon
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I’ve been noticing a lot of these trends on Amazon lately. Too many junk products, can’t trust the reviews…

quote:
Why does it feel like the company is making itself worse?

https://nymag.com/intelligence...ng-itself-worse.html

This related link about e-commerce trends:

https://www.marketplacepulse.c...in-review-2022#china

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Yes, Amazon is selling a lot of carp. It lost money and value last year.
Amazon losses
They are selling grey market products and counterfeit products IMO.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve been noticing a lot of these trends on Amazon lately. Too many junk products, can’t trust the reviews…

Yep, I've noticed this as well.

And those wacky names that are indeed just a string of letters.

Also, I became aware of the reach of AWS (Amazon Web Services) at some point when I learned that AWS provides the internet infrastructure for all kinds of online services, including university webpages and learning management systems.

It's a little freaky, and a little scary, how much depends on this one company.

I am trying to buy more from physical, local, stores, but it's hard when Amazon is so damn convenient and cheap...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Yes, Amazon is selling a lot of carp. It lost money and value last year.
Amazon losses
They are selling grey market products and counterfeit products IMO.

100% agree. Their reviews are frequently spammy as well. I go on there for name brands only at this point, things that I know.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Counterfeits on Amazon, including Ove Gloves.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecu...which-ones-are-real/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:

Yep, I've noticed this as well.

And those wacky names that are indeed just a string of letters.

Also, I became aware of the reach of AWS (Amazon Web Services) at some point when I learned that AWS provides the internet infrastructure for all kinds of online services, including university webpages and learning management systems.

It's a little freaky, and a little scary, how much depends on this one company.

I am trying to buy more from physical, local, stores, but it's hard when Amazon is so damn convenient and cheap...

AWS is what many (most??) companies are using, unless they have major security needs. Netflix and McDonald’s both use it, according to this article: https://www.mytechmag.com/companies-that-use-aws/

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
AWS is what many (most??) companies are using, unless they have major security needs. Netflix and McDonald’s both use it, according to this article: https://www.mytechmag.com/companies-that-use-aws/

The more I think about this, the more I think we should all be freaking out about it.

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I’m casually guessing perhaps half of startups rely on AWS, most without any backup plan for what to do if AWS disappears. Shrug

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What’s frustrating about Amazon products is that so many of them are so crappy they wont work at all.

Boxes of screws that aren’t threaded. Missing pieces, sometimes several pieces. Items that were clearly damaged before they were packaged. Light bulbs that won’t screw in to a fixture. These things would be comical if they weren’t so common. I suppose it’s a logical extension of the race to the bottom and I should be happy the boxes have anything in them at all.

I’ve wondered about the stuff that I return. If I put an appropriately sized rock in the box and drop it off at Kohls, will anyone open it when it arrives at its destination? My guess is that return boxes are never opened and are instead sold in bulk to various liquidators. The items have no value and no one is going to spend time handling them.

As for search, these ideas from a commenter look useful. Google search tool isn’t very good either but it’s better than Amazon’s:

quote:
I routinely use Google's site search for Amazon.com instead of Amazon search, so I nearly always find the lowest price item that most precisely matches my exact search term.

I also use Google Lens combined with site search to uncover all of the many private labelers on Amazon selling the exact same item.

It really doesn't take very long to upload Amazon stock photos to Google Lens and often yields 50% or as much 75% savings over what I would have paid had I bought from one of the sellers Amazon positioned in its first few pages of results.

If low price is the ultimate goal, sites like DHGate.com and Wish sell the same items without Amazon’s markup. Shipping takes a while and returns can be a problem but it’s all so cheap that if the stuff is no good you can just throw it away like spoiled produce. Most of the time what I get is the same or maybe better than what I might have bought at Amazon.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Here’s another article. It’s long but it covers concepts I’ve never heard of before.

The Enshittification of TikTok

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
I still use Amazon for many things and have not had issues with quality or fakes. Their return policy is generous and convenient. Pricing seems competitive.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
...My guess is that return boxes are never opened and are instead sold in bulk to various liquidators....

That sentence reminded me of an event when I was in high school. One day, one of the students carefully opened their vanilla ice cream cup and ate the contents. Then he refilled the cup with mashed potatoes and put the lid back on as if it had never been opened. You can imagine the uproar when someone got a cup of frozen mashed potatoes in their lunch a couple of days later.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Enshittification

That's a really good word.

Steve, re the returns issue: I read something recently (either WaPo or NYTs) that was about returns, and the impression I got was that some items are most definitely checked and returned to be sold again, but others do indeed just get passed along.

I can't find the article now, but if I do, I'll link it here.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here’s another article. It’s long but it covers concepts I’ve never heard of before.

The Enshittification of TikTok

Ok, I read that article.

Eeker

The internet is screwed. And we are screwed with it.

Also, reading that article, I could almost hear the author furiously typing it out to the sounds of Nine Inch Nails....

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
What’s frustrating about Amazon products is that so many of them are so crappy they wont work at all.

Boxes of screws that aren’t threaded. Missing pieces, sometimes several pieces. Items that were clearly damaged before they were packaged. Light bulbs that won’t screw in to a fixture. These things would be comical if they weren’t so common. I suppose it’s a logical extension of the race to the bottom and I should be happy the boxes have anything in them at all.

And Amazon (and Walmart) have driven a lot of local businesses out of business. There's one decent hardware store left around here and it's almost 10 miles away. Computer retailers. Good shoe stores. Pet supply stores. Camping and outdoor stores. You name it. A lot of small mom-'n'-pop businesses can't compete with Amazon and they've just plain closed.

So, if you need a box of good quality screws that have a real thread cut into them instead of stamped on to pot metal, you're kinda screwed, as it were.

Then we have the Amazon-induced whiplash in our housing market and property taxes in this area. It's crazy-making.

I used to buy some stuff off Amazon that I couldn't find locally. I typically returned about half the stuff I bought because it was not-as-advertised or arrived damaged (I got one pet-feeder replaced three times and each one was damaged just like the rest, and the box was pristine, so clearly they had a bunch of them in the warehouse that were all broken the same way).

Now, I will not buy anything from Amazon. Never again. Their business practices are bad. Their treatment of their employees is beyond bad. And they destroy communities. Nope. Not doing it.

I have no idea how to determine if a company uses AWS, and it's probably impossible to live now without doing business with companies that do.

We used to have anti-trust and anti-monopoly laws in this country. Or at least that's what we were told.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post