well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Confessions of a Make-Up Neophyte
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Confessions of a Make-Up Neophyte
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
SK, Cindy, you both look gorgeous.

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20398 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

In that pic, I’m using everything I own: primer with powder, concealer over and under the eyes, blush, three shadows, eyebrow pencil, eyeliner, mascara, lip primer, lip pencil, plum lipstick and . . . Get this . . . White lipstick on the inner lip for an ombré effect.

I was going to see friends I hadn’t seen in a couple of years, so I needed to do everything I know how to do.

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Cindy, you look fantastic! The lip color and technique is perfect! Also I’m so glad you went to this new hairstyle. It looks amazing on you!!

Mary Anna I’ll let someone else address the liquid question ... but re glasses, I hear you. Too much shadow behind glasses doesn’t seem right to my mind. Plus my brows are naturally sort of prominent (I pluck a lot because otherwise I look like a muppet). So I always felt that too much eye make up wouldn’t work with my brows...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Makeup? Why? I sometimes use a tinted moisturizer in formal occasions...Maybe a sweep or two of mascara. I am allergic to much of the stuff, it backfires on me anyway.

But day to day..Nope...just vitamin E moisturizer. I do not dye my hair either but I chalk that up to genes.

And I wear flats..since my 20's..

The minute my job requires some dress code,I am outta there..

It may be to my detriment, I do love the look of an older glamorous made up woman, but it is just me. Shrug

I do have a few older than me women friends who fly without anything..but they are so amazingly beautiful...

Plus is that in the morning I am ready to go in no time! :yes

And speaking of genes, Cindy you got 'em! You are gorgeous just as you are!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I also meant to say:

Cindy, can primer go underneath concealer?

Nona, I know what you mean about the scents! I’m pretty sensitive about that sort of thing too. Clinique stuff is all truly unscented, you might try that?

BL, I agree with you on flats. I never wear heels, the highest I own might be a 1.5 inch kitten heel I wore to a wedding a few years ago. But as for make up, I like my face much better with some concealer, powder and mascara.

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I put primer under concealer, but not for any logical reason. I need the primer to reduce shine (black women are shiny) and make the powder adhere. Once I’ve put on primer, might as well deal with concealer next, then powder.

I gave up on heels years ago. I hemmed all work pants to work with flats.

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I didn't see SK's picture. You look absolutely fabulous! Your skin is amazing.

You both look so good with short hair. I've been hiding behind long hair for so long that I'm scared to show my whole face.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15496 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Jodi, Mary Anna, thank you both! Take your photos outside in good lighting, it works wonders.

quote:
I've been hiding behind long hair for so long that I'm scared to show my whole face.

That's like me and my glasses. I'm so used to hiding behind my glasses, I could never switch to contacts.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
SK, I would have thought that outdoor light would be so harsh that it would highlight every flaw, but the least embarrassing photos taken of me over the past fifteen years have mostly been outdoors.

That's funny about the glasses. I only started wearing mine three years ago, so they're not part of my self-image. I don't feel like I look like myself in photos if I'm wearing my glasses.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15496 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would have thought that outdoor light would be so harsh that it would highlight every flaw, but the least embarrassing photos taken of me over the past fifteen years have mostly been outdoors.

Yes, it's interesting isn't it! I think the trick is not to have the sun shining directly into your face (besides the fact that then you squint and it's not the most photogenic expression!)

But the natural light actually both softens and conceals some wrinkles, it's really interesting!

I first noticed this when I took photos on graduation morning outside but in a sort of shaded spot, those photos made me look amazing and I have tried for natural lighting ever since!

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:

The other thing I like a lot is eyebrow mascara. For reasons I do not understand, my eyebrows are skimpy and uneven. Eyebrow mascara is a tiny mascara-type wand in a bottle. You brush the mascara onto your brows, which causes them to lie down and fills them out without harsh Joan Crawford pencil lines. And it's fast.

This is deeply interesting info! Thanks! Where do you buy eyebrow mascara? Never heard of it before.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21283 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
So this is me last week headed to a cocktail party. Sorry, I cannot figure out how to just post the pic, so let me know if the link works. Or someone else can post it.

https://drive.google.com/open?...SWF3dWJ6SlhKRzlXZlI4

Knock Knock

Gorgeous!! I adore the hair especially!

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
The lip color is perfect for you.

What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
Really nice job on the makeup Cindy. Its subtle and you look fantastic!
Altoid is a makeup geek, prompting me to ask if you've ever considered doing a bit of orange eyeshadown near the crease and up (outer eye) for special occasion drama?

SK, you look good too! I know the wrinkle/powder pain. Unless you are being photographed, the zinc oxide line concealers are great. (they reflect flash oddly tho).

I may need to try primer one day soon.

I use liquid-to-powder foundation over key areas, then line upper and lower eye (50% and 25% from outer corner), beige & brown shadow, plum highlight for eyes, mascara. Shadow on eyebrows. Blush if going full face foundation. Lipstick just does nothing for me. I want to wear it but nope.

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:

The other thing I like a lot is eyebrow mascara. For reasons I do not understand, my eyebrows are skimpy and uneven. Eyebrow mascara is a tiny mascara-type wand in a bottle. You brush the mascara onto your brows, which causes them to lie down and fills them out without harsh Joan Crawford pencil lines. And it's fast.

This is deeply interesting info! Thanks! Where do you buy eyebrow mascara? Never heard of it before.

I’ll find the link. It’s at Sephora.

The company that makes the eyebrow mascara also makes a mascara that is amazing. Trouble is, it is $25 a bottle. I have a sample size that I only use for special occasions.