well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Not sure about these boosters
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not sure about these boosters
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I have a booster appointment for Friday, but it’s inconvenient— not a good time to be sick.

I guess I will cancel, again.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Booster shots of the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines lose substantial effectiveness after about four months — but still provided significant protection in keeping people out of the hospital during the omicron surge, according to a study published Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Researchers found the booster shots remained highly effective against moderate and severe covid-19 for about two months after a third dose. But their effectiveness declined substantially after four months, suggesting the need for additional boosters, the study said.

The vaccine was 91 percent effective in preventing a vaccinated person from being hospitalized during the two months after a booster shot, the study found. But after four months, protection fell to 78 percent.

Protection faded more in preventing trips to urgent care and emergency departments, falling from 87 percent in the first two months to 66 percent after four months. After more than five months, vaccine effectiveness fell to roughly 31 percent, but researchers noted that estimate was “imprecise because few data were available” for that group of people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...-omicron-protection/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Got my booster on Monday. Felt tired a few hours later, and fine the next day. Much, much different than my second dose of Moderna, which had scary side effects.

I'm glad I was able to stretch it out for as long as I did. I got my second dose in April, got Covid in October, got boosted in February.

So I guess I am protected through . . . June?

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I saw a headline this morning that hospitalizations are falling. Can't find the article now. But if that's true... maybe the boosters got a lot of us through Omicron and we're seeing the beginning of the end.

If there isn't another variant lurking somewhere.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I got #3 but I'm thinking I probably won't get a 4th if offered soon.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Booster talk.

quote:
COVID: Do multiple boosters 'exhaust' our immune response?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/heal...-response/ar-AASTsvV

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Second booster/fourth shot approved.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/31...-wellness/index.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Second booster/fourth shot approved.

I saw that... it's for anyone 50 and up, so that includes us.... I don't have an opinion right now though....

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I will (un)happily do it once I'm convinced the benefits outweigh the costs. I'm not there yet.

I was in my pharmacy today when someone came in and loudly announced they wanted their next booster!

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Before I read Dr Wen's analysis in the CNN article, I was thinking I will be holding off for a while.

Now I'm positive I'm holding off for a while.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I will (un)happily do it once I'm convinced the benefits outweigh the costs.

Costs? Confused

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'm getting on a plane next Friday, first time in two years.

When they announced that a fourth shot had been approved on Tuesday, I called the pharmacy immediately. They apparently found out about the FDA approval from me. Got my shot in the arm half an hour later.

I had a 102 degree fever yesterday, and I was miserable for a little more than 24 hours, but I'm glad I did it.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’m Alamagordo NM we passed a crude billboard that said “We support anti vaxers.” Google informs us that it was put there by the guy who owns the local funeral home.

Can he write it off as advertising??

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Costs?

I can't speak for P*D, but I presume he means side effects and any concerns about "over vaxxing" etc.

In my case, shot number three hit me really hard for several days, and then for a solid two weeks, I had like a string of headaches and some bad migraines.

So I'm not keen to get number four unless the recommendations are clear.

From what I've read, they aren't clear.

And I haven't even read WTG's linked article yet.
Leaving

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Sent a note to my doc to see what he recommends...

Now or wait? if wait...infection rate-driven or months since the last one?

I've had 3 Pfizer doses. Moderna for the next, or keep with Pfizer?

I have had zero side effects except a sore arm.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post