well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Not sure about these boosters
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not sure about these boosters
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It means you aren't protected from Omicron.

Well, yes, but I meant specifically that the article WTG linked didn't say what vaxxes they studied/used for shot 4 in Israel, and I haven't been tracking. Are they using Pfizer and/or Moderna?

quote:
Wear N95 masks with a tight seal

I always do, religiously.

quote:
and avoid being in close proximity to others indoors.

We have not socialized with others (indoors or out actually) since March 2020.... have not eaten in a restaurant (or outdoor patio) since then either. No flights. No traveling.

Grocery stores and classrooms, and that's it. And always masked.

But as you know, I teach... indoors, in person (I don't have a choice about that). It's how we eat, how we keep the lights on.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18353 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Israel is Pfizer. They've sort of been "all Pfizer, all the time" since the beginning and have led the way with getting people vaccinated and doing all kinds of studies. Sheba Medical Center in particular has been in the forefront on this.

The study confirms what a lot of us have been seeing firsthand with breakthrough cases happening to friends and family who are double vaxxed and boosted. ​The current vaccine simply isn't a good match for omicron, at least as far as infection is concerned. Antibodies get boosted well but they can't defend against this variant.

Good news is that the vaccine does still seems to do a good, actually excellent, job of keeping people out of hospitals and alive.

Until there's an omicron-specific vaccine, the additional measures that pique outlined are the best bet. Not everyone can implement all the strategies, but you do the best you can.

edited to add link to DW article on the study. Has some discussion about Moderna:

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavi...udy-shows/a-60454680

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37811 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The current vaccine simply isn't a good match for omicron, at least as far as infection is concerned

Is that basically the same for Moderna as well?

(Both Mr SK and I are Moderna x 3)

Posts: 18353 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yup. Turns out the Israeli study looked at Moderna too. From the DW link I added above:

quote:
An Israeli study found that a fourth shot of the COVID-19 vaccine was able to boost antibodies to higher levels than the third shot, but researchers found that it is still not enough to prevent omicron-variant infections, researchers at Israel's Sheba Medical Center said on Monday.

This is the first trial worldwide studying a fourth vaccination with combined vaccines, the Israeli hospital said, adding that the findings were preliminary and have not yet been published.

Some 150 participants in the study received a fourth dose of the BioNTech-Pfizer vaccine, while another 120 participants received a fourth vaccination with Moderna. All had received a third BioNTech-Pfizer booster. They were then compared to a control group that did not receive the fourth shot.

"The rise in antibody levels that we saw with both Moderna and Pfizer are slightly higher than what we saw after the third booster vaccine," said lead-researcher and director of the infectious disease unit, Gili Regev-Yochay.

However, "despite increased antibody levels, the fourth vaccine only offers a partial defense against the virus," she added.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37811 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Turns out the Israeli study looked at Moderna too

Frowner

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The head of Pfizer said (I read it yesterday) that two shots are not enough for Omicron. You need the booster.

Mary Anna showed me this yesterday:

Posts: 45728 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
The head of Pfizer said (I read it yesterday) that two shots are not enough for Omicron. You need the booster.

I am talking to positive cases every night that had three jabs and wear a mask. Some were sick enough to goto the emergency room because they couldn't breathe.

Based on these conversations I think we need a different or improved vax for omicron.

I realize this is just local knowledge and not a rigorous study, but I'm going to take it at face value and not put myself in situations where I could be exposed.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Is there any substance to the suggestion that by the time the pharma companies get an omicron-specific vax out, omicron will have mostly blown itself out?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30032 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
How long does the booster last?

https://www.npr.org/sections/g...ter-omicron-efficacy

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:

I am talking to positive cases every night that had three jabs and wear a mask. Some were sick enough to goto the emergency room because they couldn't breathe.

Based on these conversations I think we need a different or improved vax for omicron.

I realize this is just local knowledge and not a rigorous study, but I'm going to take it at face value and not put myself in situations where I could be exposed.

That makes total sense to me. Minimizing exposure now is just a good idea. What I don't understand are people who look at these results and say, "seee! the vaccine doesn't work, so I'm not going to get it and just go back to living my life."

The corollary: I know someone who used a seat belt and STILL died in a car crash, therefore seat belts don't work and I'm not wearing one any more."

Posts: 35368 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
How does anyone know when they are supposed to do what?

Take me. I had two Moderna shots in spring 2021. I had a breakthrough infection (of what, who knows) in October 2021, so I have some level of natural immunity (for how long, who knows). I want to go visit my dad this spring, maybe in March, but maybe later if his memory care facility remains locked down.

And I want to go to the Australian Open January 2023.

Am I supposed to boost now? If so, my chances of infecting my dad by the time I go in March won't be as high as if I wait until 2 weeks before the trip.

If I boost now and I have to postpone the trip a month, I will be an even greater risk to him.

Am I supposed to also boost before my trip in Jan. 2023? And golly, I sure shouldn't go from Feb/March 2022 to Jan. 2023 without 1-2 boosters, right?

This just does not seem sustainable.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You had your breakthrough case in October. Guess I'd treat that as your booster.

Seems like boosting with another dose of vaccine a few weeks before you visit your Dad in March could be a good idea and the timing is about right. You could have your antibodies tested like I did to get some idea of the level of protection you have before you boost.

I'd also be taking into consideration where he is in the vaccine/booster cycle. If he's way out from his last booster, you might want to consider your timing.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
And here's more info. Just to confuse things.

https://www.theguardian.com/wo...virus-multiple-times

Info on immune response:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8402626/

edit: Study released today.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health...ss-omicron-rcna13038

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 24668 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
A new study released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that people who were both vaccinated and had survived a prior bout of COVID-19 were best protected from infection.

The study, that examined infections in New York and California last year, found that unvaccinated people with a past infection were a close second. By fall, when the more contagious delta variant had taken over but boosters weren’t yet widespread, that group had a lower case rate than vaccinated people who had no past infection.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which released the study Wednesday, noted several caveats to the research. And some outside experts were cautious of the findings and wary of how they might be interpreted.

“The bottom line message is that from symptomatic COVID infection you do generate some immunity,” said immunologist E. John Wherry of the University of Pennsylvania. “But it’s still much safer to get your immunity from vaccination than from infection.”

quote:
The research does fall in line with a small cluster of studies that found unvaccinated people with a previous infection had lower risks of COVID-19 diagnosis or illness than vaccinated people who were never before infected.

The new study’s findings do make sense, said Christine Petersen, a University of Iowa epidemiologist. She said a vaccine developed against an earlier form of the coronavirus is likely to become less and less effective against newer, mutated versions.

However, experts said, there are a number of possible other factors at play, including whether the vaccine’s effectiveness simply faded over time in many people and to what extent mask wearing and other behaviors played a part in what happened.

Another thing to consider: The “staunchly unvaccinated” aren’t likely to get tested and the study only included lab-confirmed cases, Wherry said.

“It may be that we’re not picking up as many reinfections in the unvaccinated group,” he said.

https://www.wfla.com/community...ant-cdc-study-finds/

Bazootiehead-in-training