well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Online teaching progress report
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Online teaching progress report
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It takes place at your uni and mine. That's what adjuncts usually do. Put three or four in an office, because only one or two are present on any given day.

At my institution, most of the lecturers are on campus and in their offices more than the full profs....

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
It's easier to allow remote work in an industry where monitoring an individual's work output is fairly straightforward. Much more difficult if it's harder to evaluate the quantity and quality of work output. Likewise, remote work is more feasible when it's easy to tease out the contributions of an individual. Less feasible when teamwork is important and shirking is easier (and harder to detect) in a remote setting.

Posts: 12528 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Our student newspaper just reported that the College of Arts and Sciences faculty received an email from their dean today giving them authorization to test out virtual instruction for their courses that were supposed to be face-to-face.

There has been no official word that we're going online, nor has there been any word on whether it would be temporary or for the semester, but this is a big shift in the administration's position. Or, perhaps, in one administrator's position...

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I cannot speak for others. However, we just switched to Zoom for our department meetings, and many people keep cameras off, even though the meetings are half an hour, max. I keep mine off because I'm usually on the bike or the treadmill so the meeting isn't a total waste of time. But I'm listening.

Ooh, I wouldn't have discussed this otherwise, but...

At first when we started having ZOOM Shabbat services, I (sort of) dressed up, wondering why other members kept their cameras off.

Then I noticed theirs would go on and off, figuring they were taking restroom breaks, their kids were acting out (this turned out to be accurate), or they just didn't care to participate the whole time. Others ocasionally play with pets. (Big Grin) - wonder if they forget they are "live".

Now (per these comments) I'm supposing some don't want to disclose their living space without a bit of spiffing up. Not infrequently, I've been unable to get the video working (this is almost inevitably because I forget to open the lens Red Face)

Lately, I mostly begin only fully dressed on top (bottom, in work out clothes) and lately, I have the camera off for the first period, up to a half an hour (NOT because I don't want to "waste my time" but because I'm finishing my stairstepping while listening to the prayers at the same time. Have wondered about how others might perceive this - how I myself perceive it!)

At least, so far I haven't yet accidently left my camera on while stairstepping

I HAVE once or twice wondered if the rabbi himself (a dignified but warm fellow) has loosened up his own dress code.

I can see it might be difficult to switch back to physical attendance when the time comes! It's definitely developing bad habits. (SHHHHHH!!) Since my kids are also attending - one in Boston, one in CA - I also need to consider the issue of example settling. It was amusing to see the one in CA sitting on an unmade made while he was staying in the AirBnB (the congregation had a laugh when I mentioned in in the schmooze part). OTOH such confidences make us feel more "heimish" considering we are no longer able to get together for a snack and chat, after the service proper. A dfferent kind of community togetherness.

Wondering what we're going to do for the High Holidays coming up (definitely, not safe to attempt live). Hoping VERY much my laptop is working for my "Aliyah" part (when I unmute the mic to do a live prayer). Also that I don't forget to dress decently...Both parts of me! Leaving

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Room Rater, the Twitter account that rates your background for Zoom calls:

https://slate.com/human-intere...r-account-rated.html

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
On a personal level, I expect that the big office I added on to this house in 1993 will make it easy to sell when we go to do so.

I think so.

quote:
Americans are shelling out $30,000 on these pop-up backyard home offices during the pandemic

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/...demic-121919371.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post