well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Online teaching progress report
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Online teaching progress report
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
BTW P*D, I have a relative who keeps trying to engage me in a discussion about college tuition and covid-related tuition reductions. I’ve been trying to avoid her (it’s just hypothetical for her, for me, it’s directly connected to my livelihood). Anyway, she’s sent me that NYT in an email, by text and in a FB message, but I had put off reading it bc I didn’t want to get into it with her.

So thanks a lot for finally making me read it. suave

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Always glad to help ... Evil

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
hysteric

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Having said that, I'd rather talk about these subjects with you and the rest of the WTF crew than with this person....

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
This is tangential but related to SK's point:

My current job is working for a NY law firm. Interestingly, I learned this week that there was a partner at my firm who paved the way for me. She moved several years ago from NY to Florida, and proved that a remote presence at the firm could be effective. I did wonder why they were so relaxed about my relative distance from the office; now I know why.

And, in the wake of the pandemic, it appears that many more are either not going back, or will go back only irregularly. And one of my clients just gave up their office lease and will only work virtually from now on.

I wonder how this will all affect the prices for commercial leases for office space in NYC and and elsewhere. In my industry, I can imagine a lot more "hot desking", with smaller offices overall and individual offices eliminated with more small conference rooms for people who show up occasionally (which is where I work when I am in NY).

On the subject of Zoom, I have one client for whom I function as consigliere who is constantly yapping at me because he'll send me Google Meet links and then I'll dial in on the phone instead of using my computer so he can see me. Except for large meetings or Board meetings, or when something is being presented on the screen that I'll need to see, I disregard the yapping. The phone is fine.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Quirt, what is "hot desking"?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I wonder how this will all affect the prices for commercial leases for office space in NYC and and elsewhere. In my industry, I can imagine a lot more "hot desking", with smaller offices overall and individual offices eliminated with more small conference rooms for people who show up occasionally (which is where I work when I am in NY).

I spoke with a commercial RE broker, and he told me that leasing demand is off 80% (!) in Orange County. Compounding the problem is that several huge new office complexes came on line at the end of last year and most never leased out. Some are still vacant.

A friend of mine works for a big commercial moving company. He spends his days moving people out of office buildings and in to their houses. Employers let them take their desks, computers, chairs and whatever else home as these thing no longer have much value.

My IT guy follows behind, sets up the home wifi network and tunes up the internet speed. He's been doing nothing but that for months.

I remember Geoffrey talking about how important it was to live in the city where people can be close together and collaborate. Modern tech companies spend a fortune on common spaces where employees are supposed to bounce ideas off of each other. It would appear that a has changed. Maybe it was never important at all.

People went home to work and they're not coming back.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

It's where you set up desks for communal use. Nobody is assigned a permanent desk, and then whoever shows up uses one of the available ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ent%20time%20periods.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
off 80% (!)

Eeker

Re this:
quote:
People went home to work and they're not coming back.

I keep going back and forth about what I think about this for myself. There are lots of things I love about working from home, including comfort (yoga pants) and convenience (no commute, being able to take an exercise break easily)...

But I also like being on campus, being in my office. In particular, I like the fact that pre-covid) my work stuff (papers, books etc) are all laid out in my office, so when I was at home I couldn't really work because it was too much of a hassle to schlep everything back and forth between home and office.

Now my work/life balance sucks bc I'm in my house and my home-office is all set up with my stuff, I just have to sit down. And so I find myself doing work stuff later into the evening etc.... although it's gotten better as I've made an effort to "clock out" at the end of the day.

And remember the whole thing about "meetings that could have been an email"? Well the reverse is also true. There have been many, many times when I need to have a quick chat with someone but because I can't walk over and stick my head in their office, we have to set up a Zoom meeting, I have to put it on my calendar and then it seems like the formality of scheduling it causes the Zoom chats to last longer than they might need to... Also, when we don't do a Zoom meeting, a lot of things that would, again, be a 5 minute discussion in person, end up being an endless chain of emails partly that's because some people do not pay attention or don't answer questions etc....

So the whole WFH thing is a mixed bad to my mind...

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Quirt, thanks! I have never heard that term before.

Also, I would hate hot desking. WhoMe

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The ramifications are huge, some of which I can already see, some of which I can only imagine.

I see the demand for commercial real estate staying low. It was already happening with retail space (there are internet stories about 100 retail firms who filed for bankruptcy this year)and now it's happening with office space. Eliminate office workers and you eliminate the support functions - restaurants, wholesale office supply vendors, janitorial services, etc. A lot of people are going to lose a lot of money.

But a lot of other people are going to make a lot of money. Sharon is working from home now, 4 days per week. We're lucky that she already has an office space, but when she started running hundreds of pages a day through my light-duty printers it became obvious that we needed an upgrade. Our internet connection was not up to the task and we upgraded. She needs a new chair (and so do I). We wouldn't be spending any of this money if she still worked in the office.

But she hasn't had to buy clothes in months and no longer drives 50 miles a day. At this rate her van should last forever and the gas bill is a fraction of what it was. We rarely go out to eat any more.

I just saw where Home Depot and Lowes are breaking records as far as profits. Residential remodel contractors I know are all booked months in advance. People are carving out office space and spending enough time at home that they want a nicer space. On a personal level, I expect that the big office I added on to this house in 1993 will make it easy to sell when we go to do so.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

It's where you set up desks for communal use. Nobody is assigned a permanent desk, and then whoever shows up uses one of the available ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ent%20time%20periods.

See also "Hot Racking".

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
On a related note, the DNC was run out of his house by this guy, Glen Weiss:

Reports are that he was wearing pants but not shoes.

[edit] Here is a quote from Glen's fiance:

quote:
This is my fiancé and I could not be prouder of this man than I am at this historic moment in time. He has been on endless Zoom calls for months working on production aspects and directing the Democratic National Convention. Throughout these past few months, the pandemic has had the production team pivoting on a daily basis. First Glenn was going to Milwaukee, then Delaware and in the end and since there were so many LIVE remotes anyway, he had an entire control room set up in the house.
I have had the privilege to watch Glenn (from our Family Room) plan out and bring in all the technology to direct 58 cameras from around the country, deal with dozens of speakers and talent, and hundreds of folks on the production team. Watching the process of Glenn and his partner, Ricky Kirshner work with the leadership of the DNC and Biden campaign to make this all happen has been astonishing. The level of detail has been extraordinary. We even have a generator in our backyard as the heatwave has caused blackouts in our area.
I have played the role of Craft Services, “Truck PA”, and more. Glenn at the helm is steady, creative, calm, funny, polite, and decisive. I know I am biased, but Glenn’s talent and experience were exactly what this unconventional convention needed. As a proud Democrat and American citizen (and loving partner), I am so grateful we had Glenn’s leadership and instincts helping to make this coming together of our party so successful and meaningful. I hope that these past four days have inspired people to vote for the Biden/Harris ticket. #WeThePeople #RiseUp #Biden2020 #BuildBackBetter #GivePeopleLight #HopeLightLove

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Quirt, thanks! I have never heard that term before.

Also, I would hate hot desking. WhoMe

It takes place at your uni and mine. That's what adjuncts usually do. Put three or four in an office, because only one or two are present on any given day.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
At my first hair appointment after the shut down someone who runs an office of some sort in our small city said that they had cut back to 25% of the space they had previously leased and were considering going completely virtual. I can’t remember what the industry was right now but I remember at the time marvelling at how quickly the change had come for an industry that was pretty stuck in the traditional for a long time.

Meanwhile, teachers in our district who are doing remote learning for students who have requested it are required to report to a high school every day to teach virtually from a classroom. Since one of the reasons these teachers have been chosen is medical, I’m frustrated at this requirement.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post