well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Real Estate..Show Us Your Local Listing
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real Estate..Show Us Your Local Listing
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Typical Chicago style brick bungalow located in my town, just south of the "downtown" area.

Lots of things I like about the house, but most notable is the color palette in the kitchen, which I found to be unexpectedly appealing. Not sure it's what I would want in my own kitchen, but I think it's pretty Cool.

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...21923_zpid/?mmlb=g,9

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
That house indeed has a lot to like about it. I admire the integrated lighter wood trim throughout the first floor. The playhouse adjacent to the garage is a feature that I haven't seen in a long time. I remember a couple of such fantasies from homes I visited as a boy.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7379 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I like the kitchen too. Nice house.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I love the interior. The kitchen looks like a nice place to work. But I don’t love brick exteriors. Thanks for making me look inside!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I lived in I.M. Pei's New College dormitory. The issue is flat roofs aren't conducive to rain or snow.

The entire complex had leaks the maintenance crew had to track down constantly and most of the rooms had some rot in ceilings.

There was a lot to recommend the complex but a "form follows function" philosophy wasn't one of them.

Posts: 24653 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It's not local to me anymore, but it's pretty interesting.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...dd76389cd8b9#image=3

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Awesome house! I like how the architect dealt with the narrow Venice lot and put the living space above the beach crowds.

Kudos to whoever did all that curved woodwork - it’s very difficult to do.

Zillow has more pictures.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Just now seeing the black (slate gray?) kitchen... Hmm, it's beautiful and there's something about the paint quality that makes it almost softly glow (great photos maybe).

But I would need to see it at night... on a cloudy day... etc. before I could say if I'd really like it.

that Simpson's writer's house is super interesting!!! Wow!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
This house is just down the street. Built in 1837. The present owners did a lot of work, fixing the roof and exposing the original wood siding…etc., etc. I’ve been inside; it’s quite nice. Not sure why they are moving, having put so much work and $ into it.

172 St. Paul’s Ave., Staten Island

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ooh very nice!!

Also, I love to see the "real people" furniture and artwork etc. -- I am really sick of staged house where every surface is gray and every room is a matched set from Ashely'S Furniture with super fake looking decorative objects everywhere, trying to fit some 2022 insta-influencer's idea of what's in. Yuck.

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
This house is just down the street. Built in 1837. The present owners did a lot of work, fixing the roof and exposing the original wood siding…etc., etc. I’ve been inside; it’s quite nice. Not sure why they are moving, having put so much work and $ into it.

172 St. Paul’s Ave., Staten Island

Nice house.

The stair railing and front yard are exceptional! ThumbsUp

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Very nice home, RP. As SK said, it reflects a real person's personality.

And the gardens are lovely.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Not exactly my neighborhood, more like 25 minutes away.

Designed by a student of Mies van der Rohe, Philip Thrane, for his own residence.

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...60015/4887363_zpid/?

I like some of the finishes and the views are killer, but it's a bit too minimalist for me. And the dining room is totally uninviting.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Exhibit A:

There is nothing worse than modern done badly.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
it's a bit too minimalist for me

+1.

I found this listing because it was posted in one of the NYT articles, I posted the piano room on PW and went to find the whole listing. It did not disappoint!

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...75208/26728660_zpid/