well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Real Estate..Show Us Your Local Listing
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real Estate..Show Us Your Local Listing
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Staten Island house

This is an arts and crafts house near us. It is unusual in that it’s A&C in a neighborhood of Victorians.

We toured it once when it was previously for sale. It had built-in original cabinetry, and I think some of that has since been removed. At the time, the rooms seemed on the small side. It is at a fairly busy intersection.

They’ve put in a backyard pool. Not sure that is value-added in this climate. And part of the property is listed as buildable, which I strongly doubt, since we are in a historic district that forbids that.

I will try to attach my own photo of the exterior. It looks much nicer than the ones on the site.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13806 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I like the inside of the Staten Island House, but the outside looks terrible!

A lot of people don't seem to realize that plants and trees around a house, esp. those that are close to the house, need to be pruned back. I bet the house would look waaay better with some very aggressive pruning, and maybe even tree removal. And that would probably increase its selling price too.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18409 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Listing says well and septic.

Wouldn’t be my choice, especially not in retirement.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34903 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
The Findlay Mountain Rd house has two pianos! ThumbsUp

/onetrackmind

Posts: 18409 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I like the inside of the Staten Island House, but the outside looks terrible!

A lot of people don't seem to realize that plants and trees around a house, esp. those that are close to the house, need to be pruned back. I bet the house would look waaay better with some very aggressive pruning, and maybe even tree removal. And that would probably increase its selling price too.

I love all the dark woodwork/windows. My downstairs living areas are like that. But I agree, I’m feeling smothered by trees and shrubbery on the outside of that house!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9796 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:

/onetrackmind

I thought you might be the first to notice that....

Keyboard Jam Keyboard Jam

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37859 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Pique, I see both an oil tank and a propane tank in the pictures, and I’ll bet it’s also on well. Septic tank is a given.

Country living is great but I prefer city utilities.

I guess it depends on the city. Helena's city infrastructure is very old. Many of the houses we looked at in town had sewer lines that were failing--a $50k repair at the time. Our well water doesn't need to be filtered, tested completely safe, and is delicious. The city's water is awful.

In Missoula, when I sold my house the inspection revealed the sewer line was failing. And the city took over the water company and now charges an absolute fortune to provide water that tastes awful and has been chlorinated.

If you have your well system inspected annually and have your septic emptied every five years, there should be minimal issues.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21325 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Love the SI house by Joe's place, but I would not want to pay to heat it!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21325 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
this one is just the other side of the state line. so much, much more for our money here! really feels strange because it used to be that montana was the cheap place to buy. i love the looks of this place.

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...12136/30002247_zpid/

Has some very nice features. Am guessing it's a flip; it sold about a year ago for $160K.

Looked up taxes on county assessor site, only info available is back in 2009. Taxes were like $4200 back then and the house (not including land) was assessed a little over $160K. I would expect the taxes to be quite a bit higher with the renovations, and Zillow's estimate of $625 a month seems to reflect that.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37859 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:

Mik, come buy wine! I think we’re thinking of the same place; nice people running that shop.

Indeed. It's Great Wine Buys. I still have them ship me a case or two of Oregon pinots every year.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13543 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
Pique, I see both an oil tank and a propane tank in the pictures, and I’ll bet it’s also on well. Septic tank is a given.

Country living is great but I prefer city utilities.

I guess it depends on the city. Helena's city infrastructure is very old. Many of the houses we looked at in town had sewer lines that were failing--a $50k repair at the time. Our well water doesn't need to be filtered, tested completely safe, and is delicious. The city's water is awful.

In Missoula, when I sold my house the inspection revealed the sewer line was failing. And the city took over the water company and now charges an absolute fortune to provide water that tastes awful and has been chlorinated.

If you have your well system inspected annually and have your septic emptied every five years, there should be minimal issues.

If you like the cost of replacing a sewer lateral (and $50K is absurd - I could have one hand dug to 10 ft. for 1/10 of that - and did on the last flip house), you’ll love what it costs to replace a leach field.

Plastic pipe is cheap.

Posts: 34903 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:

/onetrackmind

I thought you might be the first to notice that....

Keyboard Jam Keyboard Jam

You know me well!!!
Ole

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Plenty of space. 42 bathrooms.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Gross!

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Plenty of space. 42 bathrooms.

Hilarious. Two bathrooms/bedroom?? How? Why?

Lots of intriguing amenities (a moat? Kind of neat idea but how to keep it clean? Picturing lots of drowned animals in it - and more.)

One feature alone tells me the architect/decorator (and sculptor) have appalling taste:

That "sculpture" - looks exactly like the popular poop emoticon (only slimmed down). ROTFLMAO

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post