well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Real Estate..Show Us Your Local Listing
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real Estate..Show Us Your Local Listing
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Not showing the entire listing because the house isn't that special, but this pic of the bathroom made me LOL because of the sign.

edit: Just went through the rest of the listing, and now I have to post it because it's, um...unique. It's in my town, which isn't known for lakefront properties, but this one is on a small lake. Unfortunately it's very close to an interstate.

See for yourself:

https://www.realtor.com/reales...-62161?ex=2944924511

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Huh, it is unique. There are some things I like about it, but others that I'm just like, um, no.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Put it on a lake and i will will take a deeper look.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Huh, it is unique. There are some things I like about it, but others that I'm just like, um, no.

That was my impression as well.

I wonder what some of the floor materials are, in particular that gray material in the kitchen and adjacent areas. Also, the deck seems to be covered with large sheets of something {maybe plywood?} stained gray.

I do like the location on a cul-de-sac and overlooking a lake. How close is the Interstate you mentioned? Close enough that traffic noise would be a big issue?

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7380 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Pretty much the only thing between the house and interstate 90 is the little lake, and I imagine the noise would be an issue.

Algonquin Road is the angled yellow road to the north; it's a very busy street also.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of some of the finishes but otherwise I really like that house!

How do you heat a house like that in your climate? I would think it would cost a fortune.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Have no clue how energy efficient those windows and doors are, or how well they were installed. Even if they're great, the R value is much lower than an insulated wall, and with that much glass it will certainly affect your heating and cooling costs but I don't know if they'd be super outrageous.

I noticed that there were Roman shades on some of the doors and windows. Putting those down might help a little, but of course kills the light and the view.

The perils of living in this climate...

Bazootiehead-in-training

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Some of the photos in some of the rooms look like the ceilings are low (as in, guessing, < 8 feet or so). Having lived for several decades now in houses that have higher ceilings, the lower ceilings are kind of depressing to me and combined with the dark, not good. Personally, I'd get rid of a lot of the paneling and shiplap, or at least paint it a lighter color. But that's just personal taste [though I think it would help with the overall darkness).

I'm also not a fan of the standard ceiling with embedded flourescent lighting that seems to be in several rooms (maybe basement rooms), but I assume that could be changed out.

Parts of the house are fantastic! I love the kitchen.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Another house designed by the same architect as the house I posted earlier:

https://www.pghlist.com/proper...pittsburgh-pa-15232/

This one is in the city of Pittsburgh very near Chatham University on a street with a number of very interesting houses.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7380 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That house is absolutely gorgeous. Really love the Scandinavian teak furniture.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
This is a surprise..Sold not too long ago, though before pandemic..I had attended a fund raiser here hosted by the former owners...

Given the market and two or three other spectacular homes in the hood currently for sale, they might have put this on a bit late...

Fish Fundraiser House

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
Another house designed by the same architect as the house I posted earlier:

Big Al

Outstanding! I wouldn’t change a thing.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
BL, lots to love about that house! But those rugs… I could not go in there on a migraine day!

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Crazy. Can't figure out the dining room and that fixture. Mirror? Wallpaper? And what the heck is up with the area with the fireplace.

https://www.realtor.com/reales...-44144?ex=2945056931

Not gonna sell at that price around here....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wallpaper?

I think it's wallpaper. Also, yuck. The only think I like about it are those little elephants. And they probably don't convey.

ROTFLMAO

Also, while we're here, why do people try so hard to make a house something it's not? All that light colored wood and then all the gray stuff? Just no. And I really don't like the marble (tile??) flooring around the fireplace or in the bathroom, kitchen etc.