well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Real Estate..Show Us Your Local Listing
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real Estate..Show Us Your Local Listing
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Tough market is Western Mass...You buy for love, not profit. Shrug

quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
Here's a house i just love the looks of in the Berkshires

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...01257/56815752_zpid/

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
this one is just the other side of the state line. so much, much more for our money here! really feels strange because it used to be that montana was the cheap place to buy. i love the looks of this place.

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...12136/30002247_zpid/

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21339 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:

quote:

not sure what you mean? that houses don't appreciate there?

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:

Too far from everything...Prices are much lower..

That house has been on for 3 months in a hot market..hmmm...

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Too far from everything...Prices are much lower..

That house has been on for 3 months in a hot market..hmmm...

everything i've looked at in this area has been on the market for many months.

i don't consider it too far from everything. i used to go up there for the weekend from NYC all the time. and one of my best friends lives in Hillsdale, right across the state line...

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:

i don't consider it too far from everything. i used to go up there for the weekend from NYC all the time. and one of my best friends lives in Hillsdale, right across the state line...

Western Mass lacks metro areas, state financing/support..a rural area.

If you are lucky enough to have a job at the local Uni's in Amherst/Northampton, or can work at home...Or are a NYer with a 'country home'.

High turnover of homes is not big there...It is a beautiful place to visit..would I live there in my older years? Hmmm..

Here are the latest sales in that zip code..not many... Sheffield Sales

MillCityGrows.org

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't consider it too far from everything. i used to go up there for the weekend from NYC all the time. and one of my best friends lives in Hillsdale, right across the state line...

I wonder if your perception is different from that of many New Yorkers or Bostonians. (That may be changing as so many NYers move upstate though.)

NYC people think Staten Island is incredibly remote, yet it is part of the city. Maybe it’s all about travel time. That doesn’t bother me, or maybe you, but it matters a lot to some city folk.

Then again, a lot of writers do just fine in more remote locations, as you know.

I kind of hope you move to the Berkshires to give me a good excuse to visit the Berkshires!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
thanks, BL. i have wonderful memories of the place. it's beautiful and it has a lot of music and art, good restaurants, city people coming to stay summers and weekends.

i did look into what kind of elder resources are available in the county and it looks a helluva lot better than what we have here--which isn't much.

realize i'm looking at it from the perspective of montana... and we aren't moving until mr. pique retires, so we don't need jobs.

but i do have horses so i need a place with land and affordable hay--and nice places to ride.

the winters do give me pause. i remember them as icy and long. but there isn't any place in the u.s. with a warmer climate that i'm very interested in.

i'm looking at the national map of what counties went for which candidate in the 2020 election, and berkshire county is deep blue. about the closest i will get to that demographic out west is new mexico... which may also be under consideration.

right now my husband's health and perhaps life is threatened because of the stupidity of our local politics that doesn't believe covid is real. they are starting to demand that all county workers go back to the office. just as the covid cases are off the charts.

when i first moved here it wasn't a matter of life and death to be tolerant of politics different from yours. that has changed.

mr. pique planned to retire at the end of the fiscal year in july, at the earliest. now he may have to make a difficult decision to leave earlier.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
quote:
I don't consider it too far from everything. i used to go up there for the weekend from NYC all the time. and one of my best friends lives in Hillsdale, right across the state line...

I wonder if your perception is different from that of many New Yorkers or Bostonians. (That may be changing as so many NYers move upstate though.)

NYC people think Staten Island is incredibly remote, yet it is part of the city. Maybe it’s all about travel time. That doesn’t bother me, or maybe you, but it matters a lot to some city folk.

Then again, a lot of writers do just fine in more remote locations, as you know.

I kind of hope you move to the Berkshires to give me a good excuse to visit the Berkshires!

oh,i would love that! being in close proximity to my many dear friends in NYC is a big part of considering this area.

it was just announced that amtrack is going to have passenger rail service this summer from nyc to pittsfield.

i'm sure my perception of distance is quite different ! people drive very long distances out here out of necessity and think nothing of it. of course, we also don't have any traffic!

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Virginia is also of interest. I grew up near here, and Mr Pique's family is close enough, and also we can get the kind of property we want very affordably. I am really wondering why Virginia is so inexpensive.

What do you think of this 4 bds • 2 ba • 2,114 sqft home I found on Zillow? https://www.zillow.com/homedet...?utm_medium=referral

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
when i first moved here it wasn't a matter of life and death to be tolerant of politics different from yours. that has changed.

This. Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:

What do you think of this 4 bds • 2 ba • 2,114 sqft home I found on Zillow? https://www.zillow.com/homedet...?utm_medium=referral

Seems like it might be overpriced.

Here's a recent comp that's $40K more but in much nicer condition. Similar sized house . edit: Got my houses mixed up; this one is twice the square footage. Has heat pump instead of oil heat. 142 acres. The pool isn't my thing, but the rest looks sort of nice...

https://www.realtor.com/reales...M92476-24095#photo12

And here's one for sale that's a boring newer home and not on the kind of acreage you're looking for. But seems to be close to a lake and trails. Septic and community water.

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...22936/79008246_zpid/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I wonder what internet access is like there. I noticed a listing in that same area that said "Firefly coming in Summer 2022", and "Firefly available".

https://www.fireflyva.com/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Pique, I see both an oil tank and a propane tank in the pictures, and I’ll bet it’s also on well. Septic tank is a given.

Country living is great but I prefer city utilities.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Listing says well and septic.

Bazootiehead-in-training