well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Real Estate..Show Us Your Local Listing
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real Estate..Show Us Your Local Listing
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Pittsburgh has more dome homes than you might think

Ready for something that might have been inspired by Buckminster Fuller?

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I like the Yaca-Dome Airbnb in Lincoln-Lemington, I wonder if there are more photos of that one....

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I like the Yaca-Dome Airbnb in Lincoln-Lemington, I wonder if there are more photos of that one....

Pictures from the AirBnB listing

Big Al

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
This one is a little confused in some areas but there are quite a few elements I like. The guest cottage is one, though I'm really surprised to see it; I didn't think you could build that kind of structure in our town.

And it has what I'll call the "SK Room". Keyboard Jam

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...60005/3322017_zpid/?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
the "SK Room"

You mean the one with the sign that says "I am very busy"?

Kidding!!

The SK room is very nice, and good on the photographer (or maybe more likely the home owner?) for opening up the piano and taking those photos with the piano in "ready" position!!

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
there are quite a few elements I like

Agreed!

Also, Big Al, I had missed the link you posted, thanks! I love those round windows! That place is so funky, I'd love to stay there!

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
This looks like a great bargain.

FLW house in Wisconsin

Big Al

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Apparently an opportunity missed. I looked at the listing and it says "Pending".

https://www.remax.com/wi/mount...20/M00000662/1810715

I love the look of a lot of FLW houses, but am not sure I'd want to live with the reality. From what I've read it seems they can have fairly major structural issues, especially in the roof system.

Definitely a lot of design elements I'd love to steal, though!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I love the look of a lot of FLW houses, but am not sure I'd want to live with the reality. From what I've read it seems they can have fairly major structural issues,...

You are quite right to be concerned. Here is an article about Fallingwater as work was underway to keep the iconic structure from collapsing into the stream below. You can find a lot more by searching "repairing Fallingwater".

On the other hand, one of his last works in this region, Kentuck Knob, has not, as far as I know, displayed any unusual problems beyond issues that affect houses in general as they age.

Big Al

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Beautiful house!

Roofs aren’t all that hard to fix - even Wright roofs. The usual problem with fixing them are covenants requiring that the new roof/repairs match the existing roof.

The one that keeps failing. Roll Eyes

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love the look of a lot of FLW houses, but am not sure I'd want to live with the reality.

Same!

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I didn’t see a picture of the FLW exterior, except for the overhead shot. What I like best about his work is his control of proportion. Proportion is something you don’t necessarily notice until you see it done well.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Go to the REMAX listing. There are more exterior views and details there.

Big Al

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
Go to the REMAX listing. There are more exterior views and details there.

Big Al

Thanks, Big Al. That house looks a bit wackier than the Wright houses I’ve been thinking of.

I like this one in Buffalo.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
one of my sisters unexpectedly sent me this link to a US property for sale:

https://www.williampitt.com/se...-170513016-41000499/

I had to admit to liking it!

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 371 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post