well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    While COVID rages, the flu is nowhere to be seen

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

While COVID rages, the flu is nowhere to be seen
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
February is usually the peak of flu season, with doctors’ offices and hospitals packed with suffering patients. But not this year.

Flu has virtually disappeared from the U.S., with reports coming in at far lower levels than anything seen in decades.

Experts say that measures put in place to fend off the coronavirus — mask wearing, social distancing and virtual schooling — were a big factor in preventing a “twindemic” of flu and COVID-19. A push to get more people vaccinated against flu probably helped, too, as did fewer people traveling, they say.

Another possible explanation: The coronavirus has essentially muscled aside flu and other bugs that are more common in the fall and winter. Scientists don't fully understand the mechanism behind that, but it would be consistent with patterns seen when certain flu strains predominate over others, said Dr. Arnold Monto, a flu expert at the University of Michigan.

Nationally, “this is the lowest flu season we’ve had on record,” according to a surveillance system that is about 25 years old, said Lynnette Brammer of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

https://www.inquirer.com/healt...vid-19-20210225.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
I think simple enhanced precautions have made a humongous difference.

Sad though that the tin-foil hats/anti-vaxxers see a need to make a conspiracy where one doesn't exist.

I'm tickled to have a reason to wear a mask -- I've been looking for a reason to wear one at Wal-Mart my whole life.

Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking that wearing masks to prevent flu is probably a good idea. I would be very happy to never get the flue ever again....

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Not a sniffle or cough for a year now...

I think I will continue masking in the future while tuning and especially while on public transit...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Well I heard that covid was caused by flu shots and remained latent until you put on a mask, which then activates it. Same friend who shared this nugget thinks of course that with my covid vaccine I have now been microchipped by Bill Gates.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
Well I heard that covid was caused by flu shots and remained latent until you put on a mask, which then activates it. Same friend who shared this nugget thinks of course that with my covid vaccine I have now been microchipped by Bill Gates.

Jf
not the tracking device we hold in our hands though. Not evil enough looking.

Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
Not a sniffle or cough for a year now...

I think I will continue masking in the future while tuning and especially while on public transit...

Welcome to parts of Asia, pre-covid. It was all that unusual.

I expect to continue to wear a mask, but only because I expect covid to be around, in some form, even if a smaller threat, for quite a while.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I've been thinking that wearing masks to prevent flu is probably a good idea. I would be very happy to never get the flue ever again....

Yes, as Quirt notes, welcome to parts of Asia. I remember seeing Asians at airports wearing masks years ago and wondering at their seeming excess of caution.

BTW, if you never get the flue you'll never make the fire draw properly ... Wink

Posts: 12536 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember seeing Asians at airports wearing masks years ago and wondering at their seeming excess of caution.

I should have written "in the US' in my post. In Japan people wear masks all the time, sometimes it's for pollen allergies, sometimes it's to protect themselves from getting sick, sometimes it's because they have a cold and they want to protect others. It's very common and non-problematic.

The flipside of that is I've been wondering if people in Japan tend to be too casual with mask hygiene, by which I mean, how you handle a mask that has been used etc. I think if we're going to be wearing masks a lot, we need to treat them as potentially transmissive as soon as they are no longer on our faces....

quote:
BTW, if you never get the flue you'll never make the fire draw properly ...

I never make any claims to being able to spell. Or type. Yes

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post