well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Resurrecting a Mik family staple

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resurrecting a Mik family staple
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted
Made this again last night - maybe best version ever. It's in the TNCR cookbook from 2006, but I started making it around 1986.

1/2 lb smoked turkey, cut in 1/4" cubes
1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
EV Olive oil, to taste (1/4 C?)
1/4 cup white wine if you like
zest of 1 orange (don't skip this - important)
ground up rosemary to taste (1 t - 1 T - I tend to about 1 T)
1 - 3 cloves garlic, crushed
12 oz linguini or spaghetti

toast pine nuts
dice smoked turkey
start pasta water & cook as you do rest

heat EVOO in skillet, med ht.
when hot enough, add turkey and 1/2 rosemary, saute
after 5 min or so add white wine
when pasta is almost ready, add rest of rosemary, garlic, orange zest and pine nuts to turkey mix.. add EVOO to taste

mix with hot pasta and maybe 1/3 C pasta water.

Yum.. been making this for 20 30+ years. Good with white wine or red. You can add parmesan if you like but I think it hurts the flavors.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13517 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sounds great! Yummy ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34811 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It is. The trick is finding smoked turkey with enough smoke flavor. What I used last night was I believe Sara Lee. They used to sell big chunks of smoked turkey in the meat case and that was great, but now it's only roasted.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13517 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sounds great. I love pine nuts and use them more now that Costco carries them at an affordable price.

I'm pretty sure my local Polish grocery store/deli smokes their own stuff, including turkey. I've gotten their smoked ham hocks for making split pea soup, and they were chock full of smoky goodness.

https://abc7chicago.com/food/d...polish-eats/1771109/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37691 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post