well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    HVAC revisited
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HVAC revisited
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I think it was a Lennox. If not, a Carrier.

Don't remember the SEER.

Another thing I've heard (perhaps Steve can confirm) the compresser on/off is one of the prime sources of wear and tear and subsequent maintenance/repair. I'm pretty sure that was one of the reasons why our AC dude recommended the 2-speed. Or maybe I'm misremembering.

I should maybe give some context on why I'm so high on 2-speed. Our A/C unit broke about 2 weeks after we moved into the house, in August. In Arizona. Fortunately, we had 2 units (not uncommon in Arizona for a larger house like ours at ~ 3K sqft). As part of the purchase, we had one of those American Home Shield deals. We called them, and they sent out a total idiot who couldn't fix it. The next day they sent out a slightly upgraded idiot, who fixed it for about 1 hour. Just enough time for him to leave. This went on at least 5 more times. We ended up calling the head minions at American Home Shield, who said there was no way they would replace the unit with anything as expensive. After all, their headquarters was in Texas and they understand heat. Why, just that day it was 90 degrees! I informed them that it was 110 at our house, and 90 degrees INSIDE. They didn't care. We had to send a threatening letter to get them to finally agree for us to get a Lennox (what was being replaced), and they would pay for it if it was installed by any licensed Lennox installer. We found a fantastic AC group (AC by Jay, for any Phoenicians who might be reading this), and they came out and installed it. Three weeks, every day above 110, and at last we had AC.

So I can relate to Steve's words. Better money was never spent. Big Grin

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Another thing I've heard (perhaps Steve can confirm) the compressor on/off is one of the prime sources of wear and tear and subsequent maintenance/repair.

I have heard that as well. Makes sense.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I think it was a Lennox. If not, a Carrier.

I know that some (many? most?) of the top brands are made at the same factory. If I had to recall, I'd guess that I was told that Carrier and American Standard are basically the same machine, branded differently.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Lennox also makes Armstrong and Magic Chef. Trane and American Standard are made by the same company as well.

Carrier, Bryant, Day and Night, BDP and Payne are all BDP products. Ruud and Rheem are the same, as are Goodman and Janitrol. Johnson Controls owns York, Fraser-Johnson and Coleman.

It all kind of reminds me of trying to keep track of piano manufacturers at the turn of the last century. Or maybe the begats.

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Lennox also makes Armstrong and Magic Chef. Trane and American Standard are made by the same company as well.

Carrier, Bryant, Day and Night, BDP and Payne are all BDP products. Ruud and Rheem are the same, as are Goodman and Janitrol. Johnson Controls owns York, Fraser-Johnson and Coleman.

It all kind of reminds me of trying to keep track of piano manufacturers at the turn of the last century. Or maybe the begats.

Thank you for triggering my memory. You're right, it was Trane and American Standard.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I remember reading that a lot of mattresses, esp. Seealy, Serta, those kinds of names, are the same way. The label says whatever brand, but the insides are all made by one of maybe two companies.

The thing I'm worried about with Lennox (or their sibling companies) is that some criticisms online say their parts are hard to get and can be expensive. So that's another thing I'm going to ask about. That and it seems like some companies have warranties that include labor and others don't include labor, which is a pretty big issue!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
You might want to move quickly. As temperatures rise, A/C companies get very busy, schedules get tight, and prices can go up.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
You might want to move quickly. As temperatures rise, A/C companies get very busy, schedules get tight, and prices can go up.

I know! Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post