well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Interested in architecture?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interested in architecture?
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted
If so, you might spend some time at The Society of Architectural Historians Archipedia.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7368 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Gee thanks, Big Al. I'm going to lose an afternoon or three at that site.

Smiler

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15499 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Time well spent, I'm sure, MA. I'll bet there's inspiration for more than one Faye book in that there site.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at the beer factories....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37691 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
You want architecture? Check out this building... a quarter mile high with a 60' base. I could never be comfortable there.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...eft-coronavirus.html

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13517 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
You want architecture? Check out this building... a quarter mile high with a 60' base. I could never be comfortable there.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...eft-coronavirus.html

I imagine it sways near the top...no thank you!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
The heaviest building in the world on a base that small?

I would never stop imagining it punching a hole in Manhattan and slowly sinking. They never hit bedrock on one end of the Brooklyn Bridge, so maybe this site would be like that and the thing would sink and sink and sink....

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15499 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I doubt that claim about being the heaviest building in the world. It might very well have the heaviest set of tuned mass dampers of any building in the world. I wonder what sort of sway remains with them functioning? If they should be disabled by some malfunction, I expect the sway would be extreme. One can only hope they have allowed for that contingency. I think elevator access would be problematic at best. It would be an awfully long walk down in an emergency.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7368 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post