well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    You gotta love this
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You gotta love this
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Bloomberg's ad

Starts around 30 seconds in. Gun control. Hmmm, interesting choice.

Posts: 35360 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Bloomberg’s tweet this morning:

@realdonaldtrump - we know many of the same people in NY. Behind your back they laugh at you & call you a carnival barking clown. They know you inherited a fortune & squandered it with stupid deals and incompetence.

I have the record & the resources to defeat you. And I will.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Maybe he's trying to give Trump a stroke. It's not the worst idea in the world.

Posts: 45718 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who's kind of enjoying the fact that we have a pit bull in the fight now?

Posts: 35360 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
What’s great about it is it’s true, and Trump knows it. I mean, the first paragraph anyway.

It’s actually why Trump is president. He is held in contempt by elites and he resents them for it. It’s the same resentment/contempt dynamic felt by much of the country. But Trump is sort of Resenter in Chief.

Of course it’s not just the resentment, it’s the defiant attitude towards it and the refusal to back down in its face.

But the resentment is at the base of it all.

Right, Horace?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
Yes, of course it's true that he's held in contempt by elites.

It is one's own choice - moral, intellectual, or otherwise - how to interpret that disdain. Whether it says more about Trump, or the elites. I made my choice of how to interpret it as soon as I realized Trump was serious about running for President. It wasn't a difficult choice for me.

As far as why he's president, there is a policy aspect of it which does not play well rhetorically on the left, but which is very important.

But when left leaning folk need to come to terms with the fact that Trump is president, they will gravitate towards whatever human failings they can convince themselves put him there.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
You're wrong. What's worse, you're rationalizing your support for a disgusting, evil human being.

I don't recall anyone talking about human failings resulting in either George Bush being elected President. I don't recall anyone saying that McCain or Romney, or any of the people who voted for them, were damaged human beings.

Go back to childhood. "One of these things is not like the others ..."

Never Offline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
You're wrong. What's worse, you're rationalizing your support for a disgusting, evil human being.

I believe you believe that. And the clear implication of another thing you believe is that anybody who supports this disgusting, evil man is themselves some combination of ignorant or evil. You are free to entrench yourself there on that peak of righteousness, and believe that you're part of the solution to our social problems. And I'm free to believe that your attitude is part of the problem.

quote:
I don't recall anyone talking about human failings resulting in either George Bush being elected President. I don't recall anyone saying that McCain or Romney, or any of the people who voted for them, were damaged human beings.

Yes, those of us following along have noticed that the righteous hatred of Trump has been taken up a notch as compared to the reaction against previous GOP presidents.

But just because you're feeling feelings, doesn't mean everybody else has to take them as seriously as you do.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Horace:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

I believe you believe that. And the clear implication of another thing you believe is that anybody who supports this disgusting, evil man is themselves some combination of ignorant or evil. You are free to entrench yourself there on that peak of righteousness, and believe that you're part of the solution to our social problems. And I'm free to believe that your attitude is part of the problem.

quote:

Yes, those of us following along have noticed that the righteous hatred of Trump has been taken up a notch as compared to the reaction against previous GOP presidents.

But just because you're feeling feelings, doesn't mean everybody else has to take them as seriously as you do.

You suggested, without saying so explicitly, that people on the left have a tendency to "gravitate toward whatever human failings they can convince themselves put him there."

That suggestion was wrong, and demonstrably wrong.

More generally, either I'm right that Trump is a disgusting, evil human being, or I'm wrong. But, if I'm right, that doesn't mean that people who support him are either evil or ignorant ... necessarily. Alternatively, they could be insane, or they could be imperceptive, or they could be biased, or they could not pay attention, or they could simply decide that lower taxes make it OK to support someone who they know is evil and disgusting. Those are just a few possibilities, I'm sure there are others.

Never Offline
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification Quirt. I agree with you that “ignorant” and “evil” are not an exhaustive list of the words you might use to express your righteous hatred of Trump and his supporters.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Again, hatred is your word. You seem to feel the need to characterize my position with words I have never used.

I have in fact at times said that I can understand the perspective of people who say the following: "I know Trump is an evil, disgusting human being. However, he's the Republican nominee, I am fully in support of tax cuts and conservative judges, and I'm really scared of what a radical left-wing candidate might do. So I'll hold my nose and vote for him, even though I'd rather have a Republican candidate who wasn't an evil, disgusting human being. But I don't get to make that choice."

I think that's misguided and shows a lack of perspective about the importance of ethics and behavior, but I can understand the perspective.

I hope that clarification helps you to avoid misrepresenting my views.

Never Offline
posted Hide Post
You’ve invented a theoretical Trump voter who agrees with your baseline righteous opinion of Trump but who weighs other things differently, and claim not to hate them. I’ll accept that. But it doesn’t absolve you of your feelings for the Trump supporters who don’t happen to fit that mold. Since I don’t really believe it’s within normal human parameters to vote for a politician you think is evil, I guess very few Trump supporters fit your mold and we’re back to trying to come to terms with your real feelings towards real Trump supporters.

Hillary was a centrist known quantity. It would seem very strange for a person to vote for an evil man rather than her just because of policy.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
They’re not theoretical. I’ve talked to examples.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michael Bloomberg is living rent-free in Donald Trump's head

Michael Bloomberg has spent more than $350 million of his own money on advertising in support of his 2020 presidential campaign. But President Donald Trump's now near-constant attacks on the former New York City mayor have given Bloomberg something no amount of money can buy: a growing sense that the incumbent is very, very worried about him.

Within 10 minutes on Thursday morning, Trump had sent out two tweets attacking Bloomberg for, among other things, his short stature and being a "mass of dead energy." Two days earlier, Trump had tweeted this about Bloomberg: "Mini Mike is a short ball (very) hitter. Tiny club head speed."

In the 13 days of February to date, Trump has sent at least eight tweets attacking Bloomberg, according to the invaluable Trump Twitter Archive. That represents a significant ramping-up of Bloomberg-dedicated tweets from Trump and far more than Trump has targeted anyone else in the Democratic field over that period of time.

Which is important! Because anyone who has followed Trump's campaign and presidency understands that his Twitter feed is the best window into what the President is thinking at any given moment. It's like being able to look into his mind and emotions -- constantly. So when Trump fixates on something or, in this case, someone, you know it's meaningful.

And Bloomberg, looking for ways to change the subject from his past support as mayor for the "stop and frisk" policing policy, smartly jumped on Trump's laser-like focus on him. At a campaign rally in North Carolina on Thursday, Bloomberg had this to say about being in the President's crosshairs (bolding is mine):
"Somebody said you know that he's taller than me, he calls me Little Mike and the answer is, Donald, where I come from we measure your height from the neck up. I am not afraid of Donald Trump. Donald Trump is afraid of us and that's why he keeps tweeting all the time. If he doesn't mention you, you've got a big problem. But the President attacked me again this morning on Twitter, thank you very much, Donald. He sees our poll numbers and I think it's fair to say he is scared because he knows I have the record and the resources to defeat him"

Bloomberg is right! Given that he has yet to appear in a single debate (he can't meet the previous donor qualifications since he is self-funding) and his name won't be on the ballot until March 3 (he made the strategic decision to skip the first four voting states), Bloomberg and his team have to be absolutely thrilled beyond words that Trump continues to attack and elevate him.

As I've noted before, Bloomberg is almost the perfect figure to get under Trump's skin. Both men are New Yorkers and both are rich. But Bloomberg actually spent more than a decade as the mayor of the city. And Bloomberg -- and this is the really important part -- is waaaaay richer than Trump, with an estimated net worth north of $60 billion. And unlike Trump, Bloomberg didn't inherit wealth, he created it for himself.

All of those things drive Trump batty. And Bloomberg knows it. Which is why he just keeps pouring it on -- millions more on TV ads, barbs thrown at Trump on social media, anything to provoke the President into responding. Which, of course, Trump can't help but do.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/13...rump-2020/index.html

Bloomberg will be doing his damndest to keep I-1 off-balance. And I'm sure that's true whether Mike is the nominee or not.

And it's all his own money, no one else's. That has a certain appeal.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Horace:
Yes, of course it's true that he's held in contempt by elites.

Who are these "elites" that hold him in contempt? Surely those who hold Trump in contempt aren't limited to "elites." That shtick is getting old.

And of course, I assume that you're most definitely not an "elite," else why would you hold them in contempt?