well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Gun Thing Just Got Real
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Gun Thing Just Got Real
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
MS lives in Charlotte. Last night, she and her boyfriend went to the 7 p.m. show at the local comedy club. When I'm in town, we usually go. It's the main comedy venue there, and we have seen many good comics.

That night at the 9 p.m. show, a guy came in brandishing a gun and told everybody to leave. The audience and the comic (the guy who played Daryll on The Office) evacuated, then the guy shot the place up.

I guess this is just the new normal, eh? Wherever you are, someone can show up with a gun and start shooting. If you're lucky, he'll let you leave first.

Most times, he won't.

When are we going to put a stop to this madness?

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
OMG that's terrifying!

Also, weird. So, he let everyone leave and then started shooting in an empty venue?

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18517 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
BTW just to confirm, MS was already gone from the venue before this happened, right? It's one of those "there but for the grace of God..." moments.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18517 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I guess this is just the new normal, eh? Wherever you are, someone can show up with a gun and start shooting. If you're lucky, he'll let you leave first.

Most times, he won't.

When are we going to put a stop to this madness?

When, indeed?

My brother-in-law was not among the lucky ones.

I used to think that shootings occurred in other neighborhoods or among other people, but I've become disabused of that notion. I first started thinking about it when I heard about shootings at locations or neighborhoods where I sometimes had been or could be. The truth is that none of us will be safe until we're all safe and I don't know when we'll ever get to that point.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Frowner

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
OMG, how horrible. Just got lucky no one was killed. What a messed-up country we are in.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Jesus. Frowner

Glad she’s safe.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...44659cce2547e2b2b190

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
She was at the 7 pm show.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Whoa. Way too close for comfort.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37938 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Horrifying. What can we do to put an end to these shootings?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Big Al - I'm sorry to hear about your BIL. If it was discussed here earlier, I obviously missed it.

This is definitely the new normal. Virtually everyone I know has a "too close to home" story to tell now, which ended in relief or tragedy. This seems to be a big change from even a few years ago, when we were all horrified to hear of yet another mass shooting, but for must of us they didn't occur nearby or in our regular haunts.

I'm so glad your daughter and bf got out safely, Cindy.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Big Al - I'm sorry to hear about your BIL. If it was discussed here earlier, I obviously missed it.

He was one of the eleven killed at the Tree of Life in Pittsburgh on October 27, 2018. One of my sisters-in-law was also there but escaped the gunman by hiding in a dark closet. One elderly man who was with her and was hard of hearing thought the shooting was over, opened the door to look, and was shot dead almost at her feet.

Mass shootings are very personal to my family.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
For our GOP friends, the right to brandish a weapon that could have annihilated the entire Continental Army at a distance George Washington could not have comprehended trumps the needs of millions of Americans to feel secure in their daily lives. Alas. As they'll tell you, we will have to pry the AR15 out of their cold dead hands, and they'll try to kill anyone who tries.

Posts: 12538 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for your daughter's and her boyfriend's experience, Cindy.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post