well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bill Watterson on Success and Happiness
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bill Watterson on Success and Happiness
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Talking to your kids is like planting seeds that are likely to sprout, but no one knows exactly when.

I recognized from my own rebellious childhood that you cannot control your children, but can only hope to influence them. It's a lot like gutter bumpers in a bowling alley - they can careen back and forth across the lane but not fall into the gutter. Big Grin

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Mik - Big Grin

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20415 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
The good thing there is she has a good basis for a portfolio career - music, business, animals.

One of the things our daughter discovered once she became responsible for a theater program is she enjoyed the business end of it as well as the artistic.

Now she is looking at an MFA in project and production management that I think will open up still more doors for her, and also give her a very lucrative backup position in case of an economic downturn. It sounds like Rebecca's grad school plan will provide her that as well.

This is one of the major advantages that someone with a true "liberal arts" background has over people who have earned a certificate in a specific skill or whose college background was designed for a very specific entry-level job (which may not even exist in a few years).

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yep. Many times over my career I have been either a decider or an influencer in hiring decisions. Although these were pretty much all technical positions, I did not focus on specific skill sets but on communication and social skills along with the ability to break problems down into manageable pieces. Tech skills are a whole lot easier to teach.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post