well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    If he does this at 17, just imagine what his future looks like (hey, markj)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If he does this at 17, just imagine what his future looks like (hey, markj)
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A teenage intern on his third day helping out at a Nasa program to find worlds beyond our solar system has discovered a previously unknown planet with two stars 1,300 light years from Earth away in the constellation Pictor, the agency has announced.

Wolf Cukier, 17, from Scarsdale, New York, made the discovery while peering through the agency’s orbiting Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (Tess) last year.

Assigned to study how two stars would cross paths creating an eclipse, he focused on the solar system TOI 1338, where he noticed something in the orbit of two stars that was blocking the light.

His bosses spent several weeks verifying his observation, and ultimately concluded that Cukier had discovered a planet 6.9 times larger than Earth and only the 13th planet of its kind ever discovered.

“I was looking through the data for everything the volunteers had flagged as an eclipsing binary, a system where two stars circle around each other and from our view eclipse each other every orbit,” Cukier said, according to a Nasa press release.

“About three days into my internship, I saw a signal from a system called TOI 1338. At first I thought it was a stellar eclipse, but the timing was wrong. It turned out to be a planet.”

Cukier told CBS: “The planet blocked the light from those two stars, leading to a small dip in the amount of light that reached the telescope. That’s what I noticed at first.”

“It was like, oh … there’s something here that was cool. But it’s also not like there’s a single moment of discovery,” Cukier said.

Research on the newly discovered planet, known to astrophysicists as a circumbinary planet and now dubbed TOI 1338 b, was presented during the 235th American Astronomical Society meeting in Honolulu.

https://www.theguardian.com/sc...ern-discovers-planet

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
mark, did you see this story?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Very cool.

Sorry been rather busy around here.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I happened to notice you were logged on yesterday so I thought I'd bump it.

How are you all doing up there?

Comfort

Bazootiehead-in-training