well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Seen on Nextdoor in Santa Fe

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seen on Nextdoor in Santa Fe
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
quote:
Hi there. I’m torn between asking for help and just buy. We need nurses in Santa Fe. I’m trying to make economics happen. I need TV, linens, and dishes. Here is my last 24 hours. We need nurses. Home after 13 hours. Patient did not die. Patient 222. Made DNR. I allowed mom and dad to visit. Nurses discretion during covid. Christian music played between loads of friends singing, praying, crying via mom’s FaceTiming. I changed out his 10 + meds: pressers, sedation, paralytic, electrolytes and talked to the doctors all day. We all cared. We cried this morning. Tough day. Plus I received an anti vaxxer, intubated 38 y/o flown in from Texas. Who will die, probably tonight. I gave the best care I could.

On the way home I ordered take out from a local restaurant. The woman who helped me was In her mid 30s. We talked. We know mutual people. She’s not been vaccinated because she fears a fever. Her mom had a fever. I’ve have 4 patients under the age of 38 die in the past 10 days. I don’t campaign dear anti vaxxers. We will take care of you, work until exhaustion everyday. All of us will learn from you. We will learn every trick in the medical trade. We will try. Until you die.

The night nurse called me at home. Patient 222 died. 38 years old. Young kids. Beautiful soul, was meaning to get vaccinated a week before he died. We cared.

If you have towels, TV, dishes. Please let me know.

Posts: 12523 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
We all have our blind spots. For years, I didn't wear a seat belt, until Mary Anna asked. My daughter climbed on rocks she wasn't supposed to climb on in Yosemite, and broke her leg.

But I do have a harder time mustering an emotional response for people who knowingly put themselves in harm's way when a safer choice was available. And, in this case, they put the rest of us at greater risk of harm, too.

Posts: 45733 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Frowner

“Didn’t get vaxxed bc fears getting a fever”
Ugh.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18384 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

But I do have a harder time mustering an emotional response for people who knowingly put themselves in harm's way when a safer choice was available. And, in this case, they put the rest of us at greater risk of harm, too.

Feel guilty that I feel that way about close relatives. That does not help at all.

I get the news of the virus infections of my Tennessee family members from the FB posts of my half-vaccinated niece.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25697 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Frowner

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34880 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
A cardiac patient couldn't get an ICU bed at 43 hospitals.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/13...-shortage/index.html

Posts: 45733 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yes, and I'm sure news outlets are digging for more and more of these stories. Horrifying anecdotes. We'll only get a reasonable data picture later, once some good social scientists tease out an increase in death rates related to treatable issues from the overall increase in death rates due to COVID.

Posts: 12523 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Frowner

Ugh.

Yes, ugh.

And the salience of the short run is a hallmark of poverty, both directly and indirectly. Directly in that people with a high discount rate (present oriented) tend not to make decisions like saving and getting educated that require setting aside immediate gratification for more abstract longer-run benefits. Indirectly because there is good evidence that education actually can cause people to become more future oriented.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Frowner

Ugh.

Yes, ugh.

And the salience of the short run is a hallmark of poverty, both directly and indirectly. Directly in that people with a high discount rate (present oriented) tend not to make decisions like saving and getting educated that require setting aside immediate gratification for more abstract longer-run benefits. Indirectly because there is good evidence that education actually can cause people to become more future oriented.

+1

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25697 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post