well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    It came from the 70s

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It came from the 70s
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The Story of Your Grandma’s Weird Couch

Where did the Grandma Couch—which is somehow both conservative and flamboyant at the same—come from?

https://getpocket.com/explore/...randma-s-weird-couch

My uncle may well have had a hand in this ad that was shown in the article:

From my collection of Uncle Al's work. No Corinthian leather, but it is "rich in authentic detailing".

Big Grin

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Interesting article.

I don’t remember much Colonial Revival furniture in the 60’s. A few families had it but most houses were either contemporary or mid century “Mediterranean”. Dark, heavy, synthetic red velvet, indestructible. I also remember maple farmhouse style stuff, always presented on braided oval rugs.

One of the strangest pieces of furniture I ever saw was a 7’ maple farmhouse TV/HiFi console perched on spindly turned legs with a wagon wheel design over the speakers.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Were you living in California at that time, Steve?

In Ohio, my parents had a sofa very much like those pictured and so did quite a few of their friends and relatives. The maple colonial style as well as the Mediterranean also showed up with great regularity.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7404 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
My childhood best friend’s parents had that exact sofa set.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Worse. My friend’s parents had scratchy polyester slipcovers to make a sofa look like that.

Urg.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
Were you living in California at that time, Steve?

Yes. My parents moved in their new tract house in September, 1962.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Mediterranean American style was an abomination.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Mediterranean American style was an abomination.

Even the hanging lamp that had the lady standing in a cage with drops of oil sliding down the bars all around her?